Chapter 27

Zohravar

I take her flimsy backpack, put it in my car as she follows behind me without a word.

For some time, we both sit in the car surrounded by the bubble of our ecstasy.

I glance at her as she looks out of the window allowing myself to finally embrace the warm feeling that washes over me whenever I look at her. She plays some music to drown the suffocating silence as I switch off the radio.

"Why?" I ask.

"You are not entitled to ask me that, Ace" She says as she lights a blunt.

"Need I remind you how much I control you, Star? Here I thought you were smart."

Her nostrils flare as she releases smoke. Truth is bitter, baby.

"Just because I sometimes like being dominated in bed doesn't mean-"

"You like being dominated by me, not someone else. Only me."

"Are you even listening to me? That's besides the point."

"Are you listening to yourself? What are you even doing, Star? You run away, leaving everything behind, making me clean all your mess. What the fuck is wrong with you?" I grip the steering wheel harshly.

"I never asked you to clean up my mess, Ace. I have never asked you to find me"

I am going to interrupt her as she says "Yes, it feels good that someone tried to find me, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't. But I would had lived. Moved on"

I hate that this fact can even cross her mind. I hate that she thinks she can live without me.

I remain quiet because I know if I don't I would blurt out something I won't be able to take back. Ever again.

"You did this for my attention." I utter under my breath.

"Don't flatter yourself." She says.

I scoff. 

"Why didn't you tell me about my mom?" 

Fuck.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb, Zohravar."

I am saved by a call. I quickly pick up the phone as the news I hear excites me.

I reach our lane when she asks me where I am going. I look at her and lie right through my mouth telling her I am going for practice.

She stares at me pleading as she gets out the car but I leave her behind.

I reach the club when Zain tells me, he found him. The last man out of the five. The last one left alive. Hamid's brother.

I look at his lifeless eyes as he stares at me.

"I am so sorry, I didn't want to do it. I have two sons at home. Please leave me."

"I don't have any fucks to give. Not even a half. Not even a quarter. Minus three fucks, and still counting" I taunt.

I think about his kids as I search for the good in me.

Nah, there isn't any left.

"I will tell you whatever I know."

Disappointment slammed into me. He is going to cooperate, after all. Shame. I was hoping to have some fun.

"Bark."

"Your mother had kidnapped both of you."

I clench my jaw as I stare at him hard.