Chapter Seven

Amber's heartbeat felt as if it was going to pound out of her chest and cause her to bleed internally. He was kissing her. The Jester of genocide, the clown of chaos, he was kissing her! Amber felt the invisible strings attached to her wrists and ankles loosen, and then disappear. Whatever spell was lurking around them had been released. The Jester's eyes were half closed, but her surprised expression didn't falter for a moment. Her eyes remained wide open, and her lower jaw couldn't help but drop slightly out of shock. The Jester chuckled into the kiss, taking her surprise for an invitation. Amber's thoughts swarmed in and out of her mind like a confused tornado. He kept his hand on her waist while the other snaked behind her towards her hair. Before he could deepen the kiss, her hands shot up to his suited chest and pushed him as hard as she could. Pushing him away, Amber stumbled back. As for the Jester, he had a shocked smile before his face and his voice turned into laughter, "What's wrong, my little puppet? Didn't like the show? For a moment there, I thought you were enjoying yourself a little too much... Though I admit, I was too." He laughed, snapping his fingers. Amber watched as the puppets around them waddle back to the display cases, the glass doors opening and closing until they were back safe and sound within their confines. That's when she noticed the dress she was wearing, beautiful and green, resembling the beauty of Emerald City. She was thankful he didn't touch the ruby slippers. But that laugh... that laugh was from her dreams... it had to be. Nevertheless, she was still scared to death.

"What... WHAT made you think you could just- just...?" Amber tried to form the words, face heating up with both anger and embarrassment. The Jester leaned his tilted head against his gloved hand, waiting her to finish. All the while that same stupid grin remained on his face. "WHY IN ALL OF OZ WOULD YOU DO THAT?! Do you have any idea who I am? Why I came here?! What was the purpose of all this?!" Her anger made him laugh harder, which only made her angrier. "STOP LAUGHING AND ANSWER ME YOU-YOU WICKED WILDCARD!" She shouted at him, causing his laughter to subside. The Jester's body tensed, but not from the pet name she chose. It was the fact that she had called him wicked. For a second, his smile dropped and his face became serious, but then he brushed it off as if she hadn't said anything. "Oh Amber... And here I thought we were having a little fun!" He sighed, mimicking a sad, pouty tone even though his face said otherwise. Amber was about to speak again when he leaned over towards his right side and did a perfect cartwheel, flexibility flawless and swift. Landing right beside her, he stood straight again and brushed out the flap on his shoulder that had a loose bell hanging off the side. "How do you know my name? Why would you bring me here if you knew I wasn't my grandmother?! You're insane..." There was still a blush on her face while she wiped her mouth on her sleeve, trying to forget the feeling of being kissed even though he was half right. She didn't... hate the feeling. She just wished it wasn't with this man, this stranger of all people. "Where's the fun of being sane?" He snickered as a reply.

"What do you want?" She asked. "Ooo... demanding now, are we? Lighten up, dollface. I already have what I want. OZ is mine, Dorothy Gale is clearly not coming, and you- well, you're my guest. It gets rather dull around here... unless you speak monkey that is." He chirped, chuckling slightly at his last sentence. "Should I be relieved or scared that you don't want to kill me?" Amber thought out loud, causing him to grin at her. The Jester paced lightly, circling around her, "Scared? Did I frighten you?" He asked, amused. Amber didn't know how to answer that. The blush that resided on her face seemed to say it all once she remembered her timid behavior that she had shown him before when he was still wearing the mask. He sighed happily at her speechless face, "Well, puppet, I tend to have that effect on people. You on the other hand, I've been more generous to you than my sister was to your grandmother!" He giggled, placing a hand on her shoulder, invading her personal space once again.

"Your sister, the wicked witch? Is that what this is about?" Amber repeated, unsure of what he meant.

The Jester let out a dramatic groan, "Ugh... You Kansas girls are so oblivious sometimes. Don't you understand? I've been dropping hints like crazy, crazier than my normal crazy if I do say so myself." He began to walk behind her. Amber started to turn in order to face him, but his hands stopped her. Amber's heartbeat began to pick up again, quick and uncontrolled. "W-What're you doing?" She asked quietly, feeling his arms wrap around her from behind. He chuckled, chest vibrating. "Isn't it obvious? Power is a funny thing... It's something I have, something I strive for. I was tempted to add you to my collection, you know. You would've looked wonderful up there, nothing but a porcelain puppet wrapped around my generous fingers. But no, I want you the way you are. It feels nice to decide, to be the puppeteer rather than the puppet, don't you agree? Though if anyone else tried to tell me otherwise... oh well. You don't want to see me angry, do you dollface?" Amber was just about to struggle her way out of his grip again, only for him to read her mind and let go at the last minute. Doing two additional cartwheels away from her, she was finally able to face him again. By the time he landed on his feet again, he continued, "...I must say, I thought I was making myself quite obvious. But since you've proven yourself as lost, let me help you out a little."