Chapter Nineteen

Whirling their heads around to face their foe, a cloud of red smoke began to drift around them like a sea of bloody fog. Then, right afterwards, a bomb of green and purple smoke followed, and the floor began to vibrate as if there was an earthquake. A beating melody followed, circus-like and eerie. Amber's eyes widened as did the others once she realized what was happening. Terror pressed on her heart like a dead weight. Scarecrow, on instinct, stepped in front of her. It was his duty to protect his people, and that's exactly what he'd do.

The Jester stepped out onto the wide room underneath a colorful spotlight, sporting a checkered, dark purple and red suit. His face was painted pure white, and his lips had a plastered red grin that spread from ear to ear. When she looked into his eyes, she saw that they had black painted diamonds on each one, extending from the tops of his eyebrows to the center of his cheeks. It had been a long time since she saw him wear makeup, and frankly, she didn't like it one bit. He was a lot scarier when he presented himself this way. He twirled the scepter in his hand when he walked, carefree and flawlessly. Although he was extremely angry, he held onto his grin to make sure they knew who they were dealing with. He wouldn't let them know how much it pained him to see her standing there, terrified of him once again. "You didn't knock when you entered..." He said, loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. "And you most certainly didn't wipe your feet." Amber could hear his teeth gritting as he spoke. Scarecrow stood firm, just as he did before he was cursed, "We've come to take back what rightfully belongs to us! Your reign is over! OZ will not stand for your trickery any longer!" He called out. The Jester stopped in his tracks, feet together and toes facing both directions as his face twisted into a sad, pouty frown. But then, after moments of silence, he busted out with laughter. Amber recognized this as the sound of her nightmares. It was the kind of laugh that sent shivers down her spine. As she watched him wave his hands, causing the curtains behind him to open and reveal the glass cases of puppets, she felt her heart sink deeper and deeper. She still loved him. If there was one thing she feared more than anything it would be to lose him.

"You and what army, strawman?" He taunted. Tinman, Lion, Scarecrow, and Marshal gasped from the sight they were seeing. Everyone, all the missing leaders in OZ, were right there dangling from their newly formed strings. Amber gasped too, but for a different reason. When she saw Atticus laying lifeless in one of the display cases, she felt guiltier than ever. Each case opened up, and each puppet floated outwards until they all stood in a straight line directly behind him as if forming a cavalry. Standing there with his arms crossed, scepter tucked in his arm, he waited for someone to answer his taunt. Everyone seemed to be speechless, all except for Amber. "DEXTER STOP THIS! We don't have to fight! Just let them go! Nobody else has to get hurt." She said loudly, stepping in front of Scarecrow even though he hesitated to move. "Dexter? That's his real name?" Lion murmured to Tinman, "Is this another joke?" The Jester ignored the comment, but his eyes did soften when Amber spoke up. Of course, he hid this emotion behind his firm expression. "Why must you side with them, my puppet? You said it yourself that you don't know them well enough to call them friends. AND- After everything we've been through together I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M HEARING!" His hands glowed with magic. Amber yelped as the violet light surrounded her body, causing her to hover. The Jester's finger gestured her over with the flick of his wrist. Hands by her side, the magic caused her to zoom in his direction until she was hovering a few feet away from him. Marshal Mallow drew his sword and was about to charge when all of the sudden the porcelain puppet of the China Princess blocked his path. "Don't hurt her!" Tinman called out, reaching for his axe only for the same thing to happen with him, this time with puppet Glinda stepping in front of his view. The Jester was offended by his remark, "Hurt her? I wouldn't dream of it! You know I don't have it in me to hurt you, don't you Amber?" He laughed again, caressing her face with a black gloved hand.