Chapter Eleven

"What are you doing here? What made you think you could just break in?!" Amber asked, candle holder still in hand in case he decided to make any sudden moves. "I-I came here to find someone I've lost! Honest! I didn't know this room belonged to anyone- I only needed an entrance!" He replied hastily, still scared of being hit again. Amber paused at his answer. "You're here because of someone the Jester's taken? Explain yourself! How do I know you're not a creep?! Are you a spy? An assassin?! " She looked into his eyes. Normally she could tell if someone was lying, but it was very difficult since his eyes were a pair of literal candy mints. "I'm a soldier! I swear on it! And yes! I came on a mission to rescue my fiancé! She got taken two weeks ago, and after my general disappeared into Emerald City to report to our king the Scarecrow- I... I realized the Jester must've captured her too! Please... I need to find her... I'm telling you the truth!" He begged, explaining his motives as best he could. Normally he would speak with a formal tone, one that was strong like the soldier he was meant to be. But right then and there, his mission was far from formal.

Amber could tell he was deeply distraught, so she put aside the bronze candle holder and faced him in a calmer fashion. She didn't let her guard down, but continued to question him. "Who's your fiancé?" She asked softly, kneeling down to his level. Marshal Mallow felt a little more comfortable when he spoke again, "She's the Princess of Dainty China Country, heir to her throne. Do you know where I can find her? Does the Jester have a dungeon of some sorts?" He asked her. Amber paused, raising a hand to her lips while she thought about what she should say. She thought back to the Jester, to the collection he had.  The waltz... the puppets... she knew where the China Princess was all right, but she wasn't sure if she should help him or not. "No... no, she isn't in the dungeon." Amber told him, offering a hand to help him up off the floor. He gladly accepted, now standing in the center of the room in front of her. "Forgive me for asking, miss, but who might you be? You don't look like you're from OZ... And everyone is aware that the Jester never takes prisoners unless they're of some meaning to him." He recollected himself, brushing the dust off of his uniform and his legs, which were tall red peppermint sticks that served as his knees. The only parts of him that weren't made of candy included his clothing and his brown leather boots. "It's complicated... My name is Amber. I'm Dorothy Gale's granddaughter. I'm from Kansas, and I was brought here." She held out her hand for him to shake. Marshal Mallow gladly took her hand, eyes full of both curiosity and appreciation. "Dorothy's granddaughter? What an honor to meet you. I only hope that the Jester hasn't hurt you since you've arrived. I sincerely apologize for my intrusion- but you must understand that these are desperate times! There was no other way..." He shook her hand briefly and politely.

It was then that Amber decided this intruder wasn't a criminal at all. Instead of scolding him, she half-grinned, "Don't worry about it. Sorry for hitting you."

"Don't apologize, it my fault for choosing the incorrect window..." He laughed nervously. She shook her head. "I don't know if I can help find your princess... She's... she's not the same anymore. I'm sorry to say it, but I think you wasted your time by coming here. There's nothing you can do for her now. Not to mention the Jester will lose his mind if I show you where she is." Amber said sadly, recalling the porcelain puppet along with the horrible display case she resided in. However, he was persistent. He wouldn't give up. He had come too far and risked too much to do so. "I understand if you don't wish to help me, madam. But I can't leave without knowing if she's alright. Even if I can't find my love, maybe I can rescue you instead." He told her truthfully, hoping to get on her good side as well as redeem himself from before. Amber thought about his offer, but knew she couldn't take it. Taking it would be selfish... not to mention if they were caught the consequences would be dire. "No." She told him. "I can't leave. I made a deal with the Jester that if I stay here, he'll release the Scarecrow from his curse. Even if he doesn't keep his promise, it's the only chance OZ has... Even if I do escape with you, I have nowhere to go, nowhere to run. He'd only try everything to find me again, and by finding me, he'll find you." She decided not to tell him why the Jester wanted her there, and she hoped that he wouldn't ask. "Do you have any idea what the Jester will do to you if he finds out you're here?" She asked him.