Chapter One

The wind swirled with rage, almost as loud as thunder as it echoed throughout Emerald City. Despite being on lockdown for almost a year, there was a certain threat in the coarse air and rushing winds. No one knew what this threat was capable of, and no one knew how to stop it. Clouds above them faded to gray, blocking out most of the sun. With the sky darkening, it didn't take long for fear to take hold of their courage. The citizens of OZ frantically rushed to their homes, trying to save any belongings from the supposed storm approaching. Their cries of panic ceased the last of their hopes, knocking over carts, statues, and the once beautiful sea green sculptures that were held dear to the land. Nowhere felt safe, and nobody was prepared to face such a foe.

Deep in the Emerald palace, beyond the corridors and the many rooms that used to host parties and magnificent banquets, the leader of it all paced nervously in the throne room. Scarecrow kept one hand underneath his chin, thinking hard about what his next move would be. Although he had been crowned the new ruler of OZ shortly after Dorothy Gale had returned to Kansas, he still kept his humble appearance. The same old black hat adorned his head, and the same old straw was stuffed inside his chest. He had the same soft brown eyes, and the same intelligent stare he had earned a long time ago. His vest looked brand new, with navy blue leather along with a red sash that tied just around his waist. He also wore a chocolate-colored cloak that flowed behind him wherever he walked. Other than that, he looked the same as when Dorothy had last visited OZ. The only new symbol he wore of being in charge was a single golden metal that perched on the right side of his shoulder. It read, "RULER OF EMERALD CITY, DELIVERER OF WISDOM." It was half true, he was indeed a ruler, but Scarecrow himself wasn't entirely sure he was all that wise as the sounds from outside caused him to lose focus once again. He stopped in his pacing for a moment, squinting his eyes shut as an attempt to think of a solution. Usually he would assemble the council, which consisted of representatives from all over OZ such as the Mayor of Munchkin town, the China Princess, the Mouse Queen, General Candy apple. But he knew that it was too late. They were either too far or too unwilling to fight. It was everyone for themselves during these dark times. The only two council members left to help were his two closest comrades.

"Your majesty!" A familiar voice interrupted his ongoing thoughts as he looked up to face his friend. The sound of four paws hitting the polished emerald floor caused Scarecrow to approach his courageous friend. Lion came as quick as he could, managing to catch his breath slightly. By the time he caught it, he stood up from the floor and gave a small bow. His main was a little frizzy, but it still held a few curls and waves left. The golden fur that sheltered him looked tattered and matted from his journey. "I rounded up the last of the citizens! I told them to stay inside until you give the word, but some of them are trying to leave!" His rough voice stated, ravenous eyes looking towards his friend. Scarecrow took in a silent deep breath, giving him a look of worry but was cut off as Lion continued to speak, "Do you know where Tinman is? He went to deliver our messages to the rest of the council, but he hasn't returned!" Scarecrow shook his head, "I'm afraid I haven't. I tried to get ahold of him a little while ago through Glinda, but she's missing too! We're the only ones left, my friend. We need to protect the broomstick. If I'm right, that's exactly what he'll be looking for." He began to walk swiftly down the corridor aligned with tapestries and fading light. Lion caught up to him, tail shifting behind his legs as he asked yet another question, "What who will be looking for exactly? Don't tell me it's another witch!"

Scarecrow paused in his tracks, turning to look at his companion before answering with a serious tone, "It's the Jester."

"The Jester?!" Lion pranced forward once more, keeping up with Scarecrow's quick strides. "What does that clown want with emerald city? I thought he was freed once the wicked witch fell from power!" Lion exclaimed as they turned a corner, another crash being heard from outside shaking the walls just as strongly as an earthquake would. "He was freed, but that's just it. He doesn't want Emerald City, what he really wants is OZ. He won't stop until he gets it. I know this is saying a lot, but I fear only Dorothy can save us now. She'd know what to do." Scarecrow slowed down in his walking, giving Lion the chance to place a hand on his shoulder as a hope to reassure him. Together they stopped for a moment, just in front of a large door that used to be the wizard's chamber, bulky and intimidating. This was the same hall that had caused them fear all those years ago when they had first met "OZ the great and powerful." Scarecrow stared at the floor just as his red gloved hands gripped the door handles. Thunder could be heard from outside as the two paused for this silent moment until Lion finally said, "I miss her too." Scarecrow shut his eyes for a few moments, thinking about Dorothy for the millionth time during the day. Her eyes, her hair, her heart, courage, and mind, all of it was still fresh in his memory. As much as he didn't want to admit he loved her, it was no use. After all she had told him. She looked him right in the eyes and told him that she would miss him the most. Sometimes he couldn't help but wonder if she thought about him just as he thought about her every day since she left. As much as he wanted to believe that she'd come back somehow, he realized years ago that what she had left him with was a wounded heart.