Chapter Sixteen

It wasn't hard to find Tinman. All Scarecrow had to do was follow the oil trail leading out the door, down the hall, and towards one of the large balconies overlooking the rest of the city. All the while, he hurried. In his mind, he reasoned that if he could break his own curse so could Tinman. The Jester underestimated Scarecrow's mind, for he didn't believe that the curse was escapable. Yet here was the deliverer of wisdom feeling more awake than ever. It felt good to be free. It felt like a hundred pound weight was finally lifted off of his head, awakening him from an extremely long and tedious nightmare. His eyes scanned the halls, searching for the rusted silhouette of his friend. He felt worried sick. Scarecrow didn't know how long he had been cursed for, and was anxious to find out what was awaiting him in the rest of the city. Tinman would be easy to find, but what about Lion? Just as he was pondering that thought, he nearly tripped over his feet as he halted in his tracks. There, frozen on the edge of the balcony, was his once loving and compassionate friend.

Tinman stood with his hands over his eyes, elbows leaning onto the railing while his head hung low with sadness. Sunlight reflected off of his metal head, back, and shoulders, but his face was dry and stuck with no more tears left to cry. He almost looked like a statue. It reminded Scarecrow of when they first met in the forest. If there was a heart somewhere in his straw chest, he was sure that it was sinking at the sight. "Tinman?" He called, not in a firm tone, if anything his tone was concerning and softer than usual. Approaching his friend, Scarecrow stood beside him, trying to peer at his face. Since Tinman's hands were blocking his eyes, Scarecrow took it upon himself to move his hands away. Carefully, he grasped the Tinman's fingers and pried them apart. The rust caked around his silver knuckles began to crack. Scarecrow hoped that he wasn't hurting him, for he knew that if he were to oil him now, he would just come back as a sobbing mess. Part of him tried to believe Tinman was relieved to be moved again just like the first couple of times he rusted himself. As soon as his fingers were pulled apart, Scarecrow was able to look into his eyes. Tinman's eyes were lifeless. It was as if he had forgotten about the red, heart-shaped clock that was still faintly ticking within his chest, ticking faster than usual. Scarecrow was about to reach for the oil can that was tucked inside his cloak only for a tainted, depressed voice to stop him. "L-Leave me alone..." His metallic lips croaked, barely moving when Scarecrow looked back up at him.

"No, I can't do that. I've come to help you!" He replied sternly, trying to be hopeful. "E-Everyone is gone... Everyone I love! I-I've never felt so h... heartless..." A drop of oil rolled down his cheek. "I d-don't want to be heartless... I... nobody cares enough to help me.... My heart aches, I-I think it's broken." His words were emotional and sad, striking the Scarecrow's own heart when he spoke. "Just leave me here to rust... You were better off without me i-in the first place." Tinman thought about being frozen in the forest, back when he was a simple woodsman going about his day only to be struck by rain just as he was chopping down the tree before him. All that time... all those days and nights he had spent wondering if maybe- just maybe, that things could get better. "Don't say that, old friend. You have to remember that you helped rescue Dorothy from the Wicked Witch. You knocked down the door and got her to safety. It was you who had enough compassion to save her. Please remember..." Scarecrow held one of Tinman's hands. "That's how I broke my curse! All you have to do is remember. You have to try..." Scarecrow beckoned. "I-I have tried.... I tried to love... I t-tried to make things better... I loved Dorothy, I loved you, and lion... but there's too much hurt. Too much sadness... I don't want this heart but I don't want to be cruel! I'd be selfish to be heartless! I don't want to hurt you!" His whole body suddenly jerked forwards as a sob erupted from his lips and his eyes. The action startled Scarecrow for a moment, but then it just made him... hurt. Breathing deeply, Scarecrow came closer to his friend before wrapping his arms around him in a tight embrace.