Chapter 1-A Troublesome Mother

Ch'en was always stern, no matter what. It was her nature and those close to her, or under her command had grown to accept it and cope with the pressure of having such a tough superior.

So when she broke some news to them, they were...surprised to say the least.

{00:27am Ch'en's Office, Lungmen}

"P-Pregnant?!" Hoshiguma exclaimed and fell back into a chair in disbelief. "H-how long?"

"3 months." Ch'en replied calmly. "I'm surprised you hadn't noticed yet."

"It's just so unexpected...I guess I wasn't looking." Hoshi pondered for a second. "W-who's the father?"

Ch'en hesitated. "...One of the medical staff at Rhodes Island. He was killed...in a recent direct attack from Reunion."

"I'm sorry, but...uh, congratulations." Hoshiguma struggled out some enthusiasm.

"I understand your perplexion, Hoshiguma." Ch'en said. "To be honest, it probably wasn't the best idea to have a child, given how busy I am, but I'll just have him stay at the Hui-Chiey residence, raise him as best I can there and, once he's old enough, visit on every day I have off."

"So, you'll be away for a while?" Hoshi asked.

"I'll work nightshifts exclusively." Ch'en explained. "There's no way I'd abandon the L.G.D completely."

"If I may say something, Ch'en?" Hoshi awaited her reply.

"Go ahead." The Dragon affirmed.

"It would be best if you tried to work as little as you can in the early years." The Oni suggested.

"I'll see what I can do." Ch'en replied. "You and I both know how hectic this job is."

"Alright." Hoshiguma seemed to be recovering. "I-Is there anything else?"

"No, that is all." Ch'en said. "Unless, you have something you want to discuss."

"I-I do not." The green-haired defender stood back up. "I'll leave now. Have a good night, Madam Ch'en."

"You too." The Chief responded, which was out of character.

Without another word, Hoshiguma left the office, closing the door gently behind her, and wandered off, still processing the bombshell she had dropped on her.

{14 Years Later}

"Happy Birthday!" Aunty Swire congratulates me.

My birthday...the one day I EXPECT to see Mum, and she's not here.

Swire places three presents and a card down in front of me.

"Thank you." I try to manage some sort of happiness.