Chapter Sixteen

Anastasia and I watched in anticipation as Colton stopped in front of Fabian. 

For a moment I thought he'd punch him, simply by the way he walked over to him like some Alpha male, but I sighed in relief when I noticed that they were only talking. Still, my nerves were never soothed as I anticipated what they must've been talking about. 

I had no clue, but I hoped they were both being mature young men like I knew they were. Well, to an extent. 

"What do you think they're talking about?" Anastasia asked in a hushed whisper for whatever reason. I shrugged. 

"I don’t know. Doesn’t look like they're exchanging numbers," I pointed out. They were both tense, but they didn’t look upset either. I wanted to move closer to eavesdrop, but it'd be too obvious. 

Anastasia and I stood in silence for a while before I heard her sigh. 

"You know, I know about you and Colton," she said out of the blue, causing me to freeze. What 'me and Colton' was she referring to? 

I scanned my mind for anything Colton and I might've done that should've made me feel guilty, but I found none. 

"What do you mean?" I decided to ask, since I had no idea what she meant. 

She sighed. "I know you guys love each other." 

"Well yes." I stated, not really sure why she would've said that. "We're best friends after all." 

"No." She chuckled softly before turning fully to face me. "I mean, I know that you guys are in love with each other. I've known even before I met you. Why do you think I'm not surprised Colton is acting this way in front of Fabian?" she asked, but I was processing what she told me. 

Why was she so calm saying this? I wasn’t even in love with Colton. Well, not anymore at least. 

I actually felt guilty knowing that she knew about my feelings prior to Fabian. How was she okay with this? 

Was she using Colton or something? I couldn’t see what she'd be using him for. She was twice as rich as him, so it couldn't be for money. She was a beautiful, attractive girl too, so it couldn’t only be for pleasure. 

Despite all my questions, I asked the only one that seemed appropriate. "How are you so chill about this?" It was the most burning one too. 

She laughed again, but I could see the sadness in her eyes as she gazed at him. 

"I think I love him," she admitted in a small voice. "And I'm just holding onto the little hope that he'll see me the way I see him one day. You know? When he told me that you are hanging out with a guy, I'm sorry but you don’t know how happy it made me." 

My emotional ass almost cried. The way she spoke made me see the truth in her eyes and hear it in her voice. She actually loved Colton, and she loves him while believing he's in love with me? Is he though? I think 'in love' is going a bit far, and I wanted to reassure her. 

"For what it's worth, I don’t look at Colton as more than just a friend. And he'd be a stupid dumbo if he let you slip away," I said as we shared a light chuckle. 

"Thank you, Paris. And I really do hope things work out with you and Mr. Mysterious. I'm not saying this because I feel threatened by you, but I can see that you guys care for each other... Skates." She teased, causing me to cringe. It only sounds nice when he says it. 

Strangely, I felt like we needed to have that talk. Maybe, just maybe, the boys were having a similar conversation. I hope so. 

Comfortable silence fell between us again for a while as we watched the boys talk. I was counting the seconds, deciding if I should intervene or not. But luckily, after what seemed like a million years, they nodded at each other and separated. 

"I'll see you around, Paris." Anastasia waved once again as she turned to leave. "Oh and keep this between me and you okay?" 

"Got it," I responded with a short wave. 

I watched in anxiety as Fabian stalked towards me, and I could see Colton's eyes on him as he leaned against his car. Anastasia reached him and wrapped her arms around his neck before pressing a kiss to his cheek. 

He visibly relaxed as he turned his attention back to her and mumbled something in her ear. It was obvious that she meant a lot to him too, because he looked at her like she was a prize to him. 

Maybe she was wrong. Maybe Colton isn’t in love with me, just protective. Maybe he loved her as much as she loved him? One can only hope. 

A month ago the very thought would've sent me crying for days. But now, I felt happy for them, hoping this would work. Especially for Anastasia's sake. 

"Hey," Fabian greeted as he approached me. 

"Hi-" I didn’t even get a chance to finish my greeting, since he pulled me to his chest without a second thought. 

He squeezed the breath from my body, as if I'd disappear any second.

"Fabian?" I mumbled as I tried to pull away to ask what's wrong, but he held me put. What the hell did Colton say to him?

"I'll see you around okay?" I heard him say before pressing a kiss to my forehead, and with that, he turned to leave. 

"Fabian?" I called after him but he didn’t look back. I paused to turn to Colton, seeing him looking at me as if he'd accomplish something. "Fabian!" I ran after him and caught him as he climbed onto his bike. 

I eyed him in confusion. He looked upset, but he didn’t look mad. He seemed as if he had gotten a lecture that had pushed him to make a life changing decision, but didn’t want to. 

Colton. 

I sighed. "Fabian, what's wrong?" I asked, sounding defeated. He didn’t meet my gaze, but he leant over to press a small kiss to my lips. 

"Goodbye Paris. I'll catch you later, okay?" He revved the bike to life, but I held onto his hand. 

"Did I do something?" 

"No," he replied quickly. "Just get home safe. I'll call you." And with that, his bike roared in a second scream before he skidded away. 

Stunned, I spun on my heels to face Colton and Anastasia, where I saw him whisper something to her before he started walking in my direction. But I oddly felt annoyed by him, so I turned in the opposite direction and ran to my car. 

I avoided his calls to me and hopped in my car, speeding off before he caught up to me. I wasn’t mad at him. I wanted to know what he told Fabian and why he was so upset, but I didn’t feel like talking to him. 

What I focused on was how Fabian's 'see you later', oddly sounded like a goodbye.