Chapter Twenty-Six

Song for chapter: 

Happier by Olivia Rodrigo

*** 

I walked through the school doors with a beaming smile on my face. 

The weather seemed to have gotten my memo this morning, seeing that it was absolutely beautiful out. I was excited to see Shanae. I had been dying to tell someone about my date on Saturday. It felt good to say that I have a boyfriend now. Images about how our night ended also had my nerves tingling again. 

I had never given much thought to how my first time would be, but it was absolutely perfect. Shanae spoke about hers as if it was wild and crazy, and maybe it was. But mine? It was gentle and filled with so much love. It was utterly perfect. 

However, I wasn't sure if I was ready to tell anyone about that part of the night just yet. Not even Shanae. I simply wanted to share the moment with Fabian alone for now before turning to other people. Besides, if Colton should find out, I had no idea how he would react. 

He obviously thinks Fabian is using me. He would only believe that Fabian 'got what he wanted'. Little would he know that I was the one who pushed it on Saturday night. Fabian was slightly reluctant, maybe because he wasn't sure if I was ready. And perhaps I wasn't. 

But I didn't regret it one bit. 

I came to an abrupt stop as I turned the corner that led to my locker, and waiting on me was the man himself—Colton. 

I haven't spoken to him since I told him that I loved Fabian. He had texted me a few times, and I replied to let him know I was okay. But as far as conversation went, there was none. 

If I was honest with myself, I actually missed him. If only he could accept what I want, then we could at least try to be friends again. 

"Hey." I waved awkwardly as I approached my locker. I had thought about turning around, but then I realized I needed a book from my locker, so I couldn't. 

"Hey," he returned eagerly as he scratched the back of his neck. It was a nervous habit of his. 

Look at us, from best friends to awkward greetings in high school hallways. 

"How-how are you," he asked as I grabbed my book. 

"I'm great," I told him honestly, and he looked conflicted at my answer. I could tell that it was because he was glad that I was okay but disappointed that he didn't know why. Or maybe he did but didn't want to think about Fabian. 

"Great. We have... uh-guidance class now. Wanna walk together?" 

"Sure." I shrugged as I threw my bag over my shoulders. "Have you seen Shanae?"

"I saw her with Nick earlier in the science lab." That was all he needed to say for me to know that she was busy. Well, it was good to see that she worked things out with Nick. All it took was Colton telling me that he saw them in the lab, and I knew that they were back together. 

After seeing my expression, Colton chuckled and poked my cheek. "You're doing that thing again with your nose." 

"What thing?" I queried. 

"You know, when you find something displeasing," he pointed out, and I couldn't help but laugh as I playfully shoved him. 

"Well, I must've done that a lot when I hung out with you," I teased, causing him to roll his eyes. We then arrived at the classroom door, and I almost didn't realize. It just seemed so easy to fall back into a routine with Colton. Yet, I knew I couldn't until he accepted or at least respected my wishes.