•20•

Amren Valentino

Those yearly galas always get on my nerves. No matter how expensive the clothes or extravagant the organizing, I fucking hated conversing with people; having to put up with my enemies for the night and pretend we're all one happy circle.

The moment we stepped in, I noticed all the eyes shifting towards us, normally this was the first debut of my recent marriage. I sense how stiff Yana is from all the unwanted attention and snake my hand around her waist.

At first, she stiffens as a rock, almost caught by surprise by the action, and I considered removing my hand away if it weren't when I felt her then relax, leaning into my touch.

We went in, and then the same boring people from the same boring years gathered around to discuss the same old topics. It was exasperating to engage, but a social chore nonetheless.

As I'm conversing with Javier, a 'businessman' in the telecommunication industry, I felt her hot breath on my earlobe. Her lips only a few agonizing millimeters away from brushing it.

"I'm bored, I'm going to the bar" Comes her sweet voice. I step back from the conversation, and turn my attention to her.
I slowly nod my head while my eyes shoot a clear message. 'Don't leave my eyesight'.

She nods vigorously, almost surprised I empathized and agreed to put her out of her misery, she catches me off guard. She kisses my cheek in a silent thank you, and saunters off to the bar, leaving me to fend for myself.

My heart was beating as loud as if it's been attached to a megaphone, transmitting the sound to everyone present in the room.

I knew no matter how affected I was, showing my emotions here was neither the right place nor time. I kept a mask of voidness plastered on my features, not giving away the leaping of my heart.

However, my quick mishap was not keen on going unnoticed by the people witnessing the whole fiasco.

I turn back to the circle, not letting all the teasing smirks get the best of me, so all I gave in return was a scowl silently signaling for them to fuck off. My life. My wife. None of their business.

A few minutes and hefty topics later, the atmosphere shifted back to normal. My eyes keep flicking from whomever talking back and forth to the gorgeous brunette over the room. I can't help the instinct to make sure everything's fine and she's unharmed.

After chugging up her third glass of liquor, she sets the empty glass on the counter and storms off in the direction of the bathrooms.

My senses alert and I almost ran out on the company I'm having and followed her back there when a voice in my head told me I'm just paranoid and she's fine, she was a big girl and could definitely handle herself.

I continue listening to the boring argument that has broken out between Javier and Emma, the donna of a small gang out in the south, about an issue I wasn't the least interested in at the moment.

My mind kept zoning in and out of realms of reality when my patience grows thin, and my eyes snap to the watch on my wrist.

She's been in the bathroom for over ten minutes. What the hell. I knew something was up, so I excused myself from the conversation and strode in the direction she went to.

I take in the empty hallway until I make a turn and notice she's supporting her weight on the wall. I don't make any noise as I near her. I put my hands on her shoulders and steady her against the wall when I suddenly feel a cold object pressing down my neck.

"I said fucking leave me alone" She lets out dangerously, and when she takes a look at my eyes hers freeze.

I'm left staring down at her captivating brown orbs, while her knife presses closely the flesh of my neck, not enough to draw blood, just to apply pressure.

She freezes over, her mouth parting by but no words coming out. She doesn't make a move to draw the blade away and I have a theory she might forgot about it.

Both our breaths are labored, not panting or whiff, just reacting to the close proximity of the other.

"I thought I said don't leave my eyesight" I warned her, knowing a jerk probably was harassing her when she was alone.

"I think I'm strong enough to handle myself" She confesses with specks of anger darting through her eyes.

I groan "You are, but it doesn't mean I like you being away from me in case anything happens" I stress my words, my breath hitting her face in gentle waves.

"Shall you put me on a leash too?" She spits defiantly, smelling the tinge of alcohol on her breath, the knife digging deeper into my skin, I feel it's only moments away from piercing through my skin.

My eyes snap to her angry contortions, her eyebrows furrowed, mouth slightly agape.

"Come on, dance with me. The earth is spinning, we can't just stand on it" *
I urge her, taking the metallic edge out of her hand and re-strap it to her inner thigh, where I knew she always tucked it hidden.

My rough fingers graze some smooth skin and shivers spread onto her whole body. I smirk at the effect I hold over her, inwardly pleased to know it's not only me who got the fevers.

•••

A/n:
* The quote above is by Dino Ahmetović.

I thoroughly enjoyed writing this chapter. Tell me your thoughts;)