•26•

Amren Valentino

The family dinner was eventually over, and we headed back home.

The atmosphere in the car was unbearable, thick enough with tension even a butcher knife wouldn't be able to cut.

The moment we left through the door, the fake smiles fell out of our faces as fast as we darted into the car.

Surely, all the flirty looks, heavenly touching and eye contact left it's marks like claws planted in skin.

Currently, it's past midnight and the air is chilly, though it felt like a hot tub to me. I tried focusing solemnly on the road but couldn't help but keep stealing glances at my wife seated next to me.

Now, the dinner is over; I could stop the pretentious act of being nice and get to grill her for info. I was still seething about the incident with Arturo, I just had to find out how much was she involved in the whole thing.

I park the car near the entrance, let the servants valet it later for all I care, and made my way to the house.

Yana's steps were quick, indicating an angry brunette. I just don't get what I'd done that she was mad about, I'm the one who's feeling utterly betrayed and used, not her.

I quicken my pace to match up with hers, finally taking hold of her arm just when she was about to enter the guest room she's been sleeping in.

"Where'd you think you're going?" I inquire in my threatening tone.

"I'm going to sleep, leave me" She huffed, annoyance clear as day in her voice.

"We need to discuss a few things. Come" I instruct and begin to pull us in the way of our bedroom.

Her eyes widen upon seeing where we are. Truth is, every minute she spent away from here only increased the dullness of the room. It was no longer bright, no longer smelling of her perfume. The bed felt unbelievably cold, having to lay down alone. Certainly, this is not the right time to be thinking of this.

"The hell you want?" She spat out, slitting her eyes, nose scrunchy, with her hands crossed on her chest.

"Funny. I was about to ask you the same thing" I retort back sarcastically.

"I don't get it" She says while confusion masks her face. I had to fight myself whether to believe the act or call the bluff.

"Now dear wife, why would your father steal a shipment from me. More importantly, did you know, or had you had a hand to help him?" I spit out bitterly, her body goes frigid upon hearing the words, her eyes widen as well.

"I-I don't know" A mere whisper left her lips.

"What did you say?"

"I said I don't know. And if you think I had anything to do with it, then you're completely stupid" She yells, while making her way over at me. By the time she's finished she's standing right in front of me, craning her neck to look me up in the eyes.

I grab her hand and pull her flush against me, her lips part at the gesture and the look of defiance gleams on the contours of her face.

"Why should I believe you had nothing to do with it? After all, you had the motives and the opportunity, hence making you the perfect little accomplice in your father's plan" I suggest my little theory and it's not long before I heard the sound. Or felt it.

She slapped me. She fucking slapped me!

"You jerk, I would never do that ! If you paid some attention, you'd notice him and I don't get along with each other. In fact, here's a little fun fact: I fucking despise the man. If not you, he would've gladly shipped me off with Ivan. He doesn't care whom it is as long as he gets his pocket full" She was full on sobbing now.

I never had any idea about the contempt she held for the man. By the way she's shaking it seems he's done a number on her.

I pull her to my chest and she struggles to set herself free, protesting the comfort I was offering.

I don't let her have her way, I tighten my arms around her back until she gives up the struggle and latches onto me, wetting my blouse with her tears.

I pat her back comfortingly with one hand, while the other plays with her soft hair.

"Shh, everything's fine. I'm sorry baby" I continue whispering in her ears as she continues to let the tears out, clutching my shirt for support.

I carry her to the bed, pull the blankets out of the way so we can settle under them, and pull her closer to me, if possible at this point.

"I'm sorry, I should get u—" She seems snapped out of her little breakdown and has just realized she was laying in the arms of the supposed enemy.

She makes movement to get up, I stop her and pull her into me, hugging her small body into mine. The warmth surely felt nice.

I sensed a little smile on her face in the crease of my blouse, and my heart started beating wildly in my chest. With this close proximity, she was definitely on my case.

This weird feeling erupted at the pit of my stomach when she hugged me closer and pecked my cheek before she finally settled and went to sleep.

Kidding aside, I think I was set afire to her touch.

•••

A/n: ughh, this sounded
cuter in my head.
Anyways, let me know
your thoughts;)