Chapter Twenty-Nine

Selene's POV:

The day I had been waiting for and slightly dreading for the last quarter of a century was a sleepaway. My son will turn 25 tomorrow, and the Alpha Ceremony will happen tomorrow afternoon. By this time tomorrow, I would no longer be Alpha Goddess; I would be the Goddess and mother of the Alpha.

I was excited for my son to take his next steps in life, and I was ready for him to take over from me. I was tired and barely holding on to my magic as it was. I knew my son would make a significant Alpha; he had worked towards this his entire life and shadowed me since he left Business School at 21. For four years, he had split his time between building Pack Business outside and learning how to be the Alpha. 

I also dreaded this day because my baby was now old enough that he did not need me. Handing over the Alpha ropes was the last thing before my son would effectively be on his own and would no longer need me. I was ready to hand over the ropes because my body was tired, but a part of me was not prepared for my son to become a man and not be my little boy anymore. 

Everything was in place, and everything was ready. I was ready, and as I looked around to see my packed suitcases and boxes, I knew I was ready. Tomorrow, while we were celebrating my son's 25th birthday, movers would lug my stuff, take it from the packhouse, and into a small cottage in the far corner of the pack lands. This cottage was just a walk from the tree where Tomas had proposed to me and his grave. I could spend my remaining time there and try to be close to Tomas. It was safer for me out there; my magic was growing and splitting the box that I had built for it years ago. I was running out of time, and it was safer if I was away from everyone; plus, the Alpha and Luna belonged in the packhouse, not the Alpha's mother. 

I changed my clothes, placed them in my laundry hamper, and got into bed. I snuggled down into my pillow and drifted off to sleep. 

I opened my eyes and realised that I was in a bright, white room and sitting on a beige sofa was Tomas. I knew I was still dreaming because he looked the same as the day he died, and when I looked down at myself, I was younger than I was in real life. Seeing Tomas almost broke my heart and just made me want to fall to my knees in tears. 

"Hey, beautiful," He said as he got to his feet and approached me. I was frozen in place and did not dare move a finger. I just stood and watched as he made his way over to me before he placed his hand on my cheek, stroking it, and I felt him; I felt his warmth, and I could smell him. It was like he was honest, which was a cruel joke. 

"This isn't real...." I whispered as I closed my eyes, feeling his hand stroke my hair and down my arm. 

"It is; it's me," He told me, and I opened my eyes to stare into his green eyes. He smiled at me, and I broke down crying. 

"Am I dead?" I asked. "Did my magic just make my heart give out?"

"You're not dead,"

"Then how?" 

"Your magic, it called out to me and put us...here,"

"Which is where?"

"I don't know, a waiting room." Tomas shrugged at me, and I laughed. "You brought us here,"

"I have very little control over my magic these days; I don't know what it has done," 

"Maybe it knew that you needed me,"

"Must have," I said as I looked at him and stared at his face, memorising his features. I felt like a starving man at a banquet, and he was food. I could not get enough of looking at him. I wrapped my arms around him and crushed him to me. I smelt his scent and buried my face into his shoulder. I could not believe that he was here and that I could touch him. I pulled back and kissed him. I melted into him, and I felt tears falling down my face. I kept kissing him, and I never wanted to wake up, but I knew we had limited time. "It's been years since you last came to me," I said as I finally pulled back and looked at him.