♔8. SPILL (Part I)

"The insatiable hunger for love, and the wanton desire to be wild

"The insatiable hunger for love, and the wanton desire to be wild."― Avijeet Das

B r i e l l e    W i n t e r s

WAKING UP TODAY was strange. My eyes were irritated by the sunlight that traveled through my window this morning. I sat up on the soft queen sized bed and eyed the laptop sitting on the desk across from me. Though I was old school enough to prefer my regular notepad and pencil, I knew I had planned to go on a writing marathon, and I opted for the more productive option.

That's right.

I just needed to stay busy.

But when I sat down on the desk my eyes couldn't help but check the date on the screen of the laptop. My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach and I instantly shut my eyes.

5/31/2188

I log into my laptop and as if the pain in my chest wasn't enough, an automatic holographic message jumped out of the screen like a coo coo clock and there created by blue lights was a Birthday Banner. The words "Happy Birthday, Brielle!" blinded my eyes and I closed my laptop shut.

I let out a groan before rubbing my eyes.

Today I had finally reached the famous mid-20's. I was finally 25. It was my birthday, and I should be happy, but I felt anything but joyful.

Because today was the same day that my brother had gone missing and my life changed forever. All today would remind me of is that Ezekiel is stuck in a foster home and my brother is God knows where.

My tired eyes dart to my phone and I groan once again at the caller ID.

AnnaBeth.

I answer before putting the phone to my ear quickly bracing myself.

"Bestie! Happy motherf*cking birthday, b*tch!"

"AnnaBeth, please. You know I am not planning on celebrating this year." I told her.

I could hear her scoff on the other end of the line. "It's not like I'm there throwing you a big party. Relax, Bri. Did you get my birthday banner?"

I sucked in my breath. "Yes. Yes I did."

"Listen," She lowers her voice. "I know the last birthday you had wasn't exactly ideal. I know a lot of stuff went down but you have to at least try to enjoy yourself today. You are literally in the Alpha King's house writing the best feature that will be known to man. Let that sink in. You are so far from where you were last year."

She was right. I was extremely far from where I was last year. Who would've thought that a year later I would be tossed into a fervent love affair with most powerful man in The United Pack's of Elefthería. The man who happened to be my mate.