Chapter 2

Warm tears were rolling down my cheeks and I could feel my breath coming in short gasps. Myself, along with other children from my Colony, were being roughly herded and placed in large steel cages. They came in the early evening to our peaceful Colony, dragging children from their beds. No one knew who they were. And no one dared ask them. Why would they? Apart from them, strange vampires never passed through Mannos. And whoever these strangers were, they demanded that the eldest child of every family be given to them, on pains of death. They were claiming they would be "bettering our future." And because no one in our colony had any fighting experience, no one dared question the group of vampires. So, we were herded into our pens, like cows waiting to be slaughtered. Our families made to watch. Some of the men tried to fight but were beaten back by large, hooded figures. Seeing that didn't work, mothers outstretched their hands in hopes that they would be able to reach us. But again, they were forced back.

I sniffed and tried to wipe the tears away from my eyes with my sleeves as I was led towards the cages. Seeing that I was one of the oldest children in the group I was trying to remain strong for the others. But it was no use. I just couldn't stop crying. Already I could feel my eyes starting to puff up from my crying. Just a few feet away I could see my mothers own teary face stare at me helplessly. My father was attempting to hold her back. Meanwhile, my siblings cried loudly beside him, holding his pants in their hands.

Soon it was too much and my heart leapt into my throat. Before the gate could open I squirmed out of my captors grip and ran for my mother, hoping that I was fast enough to escape. Meanwhile, my mother tore herself away from my father, her arms outstretched her to grasp me. Through blurry eyes, I saw my mother push herself to the front of the pushing crowd.

"Mama! Mama!" I wailed. "Ayúdame! Tengo miedo!" (Help me! I'm scared!)

I had almost reached her, my fingers brushed against her own, before a large hooded figure grabbed my waist and pulled me back. I gave a gasp. Meanwhile, I heard my captor hiss from under his hood. From the crowd, my screaming mother was being pulled back by another hooded figure and was tossed back at my father.

"Know your place woman," the figure snapped. "And you..." He continued, pointing towards my father. "Better teach your wife to show respect in a man's presence," he said before turning away.

"Yes sir," my father replied, lowering his head.

She gave another scream and fell to her knees, holding my father's arms.

I gave a low hiss and began to scratch viscously at his arms, my legs attempting to kick him. I even went as far as biting him, drawing blood. That would show him, I thought to myself. But instantly, gold sparks surrounded his wounds and they disappeared. I paused briefly and gasped. The man laughed and ignored my feeble attempts to break free. My heart sank deeply into my chest. I screamed and soon began to cry again. I never thought I could feel this way. I wanted to be back in the warm embrace of my mother, feel my father toss me into the air before catching me, return to being a role model for my siblings. I wanted a lot of things, things that were never going to happen anymore.

Eventually after struggling in my captor's arms I realized that I was too weak to break free, not a second time, at least. So, I decided to stop. I suddenly grew limp in his arms and panted heavily.

"There's a good girl," he praised, as he stroked my head. "Finally stopped your struggling."

I gave a shiver. I imagined a smile spreading across his face. Before I knew it, I was tossed into a poorly canvased wagon. I felt my arms skid against the wooden floor, causing my skin to flare up in red sores. There was a wave of pain. I winced. Gold sparks surrounded the wounds quickly and my wounds were healed. And the pain disappeared. Behind me I heard the sound of an iron cage door slam shut, the sound of a lock sliding across, sealing our fate. I forced myself to sit up. Around me there were dozens of children crying, like me. Some of them were much younger than myself. I sniffed, again trying to put on a brave face for the younger ones. But I couldn't help it. It was all too much.