Chapter 13

Days turned into weeks, which turned into months and nothing had changed with Ales. Apart from the occasional meal and the occasional days sleep, both of which I had to force him to do, he would just sit in his armchair. I tried to discuss the issue with Nathaniel. But instead of addressing it, Nathaniel only instructed me to keep an eye on his health and his overall comfort, which I did dutifully and without question. But I felt that Nathaniel was hiding something from me.

Unfortunately, because Ales would rarely do anything, except sit in the house, I soon found my job to be rather boring. I itched for activity. This activity only came when Nathaniel occasionally came to visit. These visits would start with the usual polite banter. As the hours went on, their discussions would become especially intriguing when the two got into deep conversation. Especially, when they began to discuss philosophy and literature. The two certainly had known each other for a long time. This resulted in arguments that made them sound like an old married couple. I was often tempted to pull up a chair with a bag of popcorn and just watch. But I guessed that Nathaniel wouldn't approve, so I resisted.

One evening, during late fall, Nathaniel had come by on one of his routine visits. The two quickly got into a heated argument over Ales' declining health, which was having a drastic effect on his physical appearance. It all started when Nathaniel commented that Ales looked pale and thin. He continued by adding that Ales needed to eat in order to keep up his strength. I had to admit that he did look paler compared to when I first met him. However, Ales argued, in his usual passive manner, that he was perfectly fine and could take care of himself. As I entered the living room I attempted to interject but Nathaniel stopped me with a wave of his hand. I took this as a sign for me to leave. So, I took this as an opportunity to go hunting, since I hadn't gone for some time and my supply was running low. On my way out the door I slipped on a pair of comfortable shoes and grabbed a simple coat and a scarf.

As I stepped out into the street there was a crisp chill to the air, which meant that winter was coming. On the ground was a light frost that lightly covered the remaining grass and fallen leaves. In the sky the moon and stars shone brightly, providing me with enough light to hunt by. I gave a smile as I walked. A light wind blew over me, making me shiver. I held my scarf and coat tightly around my body as I stepped through the protective spell around the Colony. I had to admit that it was the perfect evening to hunt.

I didn't have to walk long. The Colony was only a short distance to a small wooded area. Once there, I pulled off my fall garb and hung them on a nearby branch. I shivered. It was cold. Colder than I thought it was. But that was to be expected for the time of year. And besides, I would soon warm up when I began my hunt. Before heading further into the woods, I kicked off my shoes. Hunting was much more successful in bare feet because it allowed one to grip the ground better as well as remain silent. But I soon regretted my decision as my feet touched the frost covered ground. After several minutes of pacing I was finally was able to start.

Silently, I crept through the forest brush keeping my eyes and ears open. Most animals would be starting to get ready for hibernation, so the chances of finding anything would be difficult. But I persisted. I was never one to quit on anything.

Something in the distance flashed across my field of vision. From that small flash I figured that it was either a rabbit or a hare. Whatever it was, I wasn't going to let this opportunity pass me by. Without hesitation I ran after it, my heart pounding and my lust for blood rising. As I ran the animal appeared again in my line of vision. It seemed that it was a hare. I always preferred hares to rabbits. Hares' blood was more wholesome and earthy. There was also enough meat on them to get several good meals. I gave a smile. This was too easy. I gave a low hiss and lunged, grasping for the hare with my hands. My fingers brushed against it and I watched it dart away.