Chapter 10

There was a pause as Nathaniel poured me another glass of champagne, and then resumed drinking his. He sat back casually and crossed his leg, smiling at me.

"Oh, I didn't guess Ms. Velker. You told me," he said. "Of course, I had heard rumors of an Amaris Velker from various stories I overheard and from the news. Curious, I did a bit of research and learned that there was a vampire who went by the name of Amaris Velker. And then I ran into your resume and just had to contact you and see if you were the real thing. And to my surprise you confirmed it for me a few days ago. So...all of it was a set up," he explained before allowing a chuckle passed his lips before he lifted his glass to his lips.

Mid-sip, I coughed spitting what I had back into my glass. I wondered if I had heard him correctly. What had he said? Had he just told me that it was all a set up? But we were now thousands of miles above ground, so this wasn't the time to lose my head. After composing myself, I placed my glass gently down on the table and looked up at him. But even though I calmed myself I could still feel my blood boil and I dug my nails into the leather seat.

"You...set me up..." I repeated slowly. I took deep breaths to calm myself even further before continuing. "I guess you think you're pretty damn clever."

"Guess?" He raised an eyebrow. "No, no, no. I know I'm clever Ms. Velker," Nathaniel replied calmly. "I was clever enough to figure out how to change myself from a human to a vampire. I was clever enough to help save an entire colony from certain death. I was even clever enough to rebuild said colony. And certainly clever enough to fool a young woman, like yourself," He explained with a smug smile.

This boy certainly thought highly of himself. But now it was time for a hit of his own game. I smiled sweetly and leaned forward.

"Wow, you certainly are clever." I nodded and patted his knee before sitting back. "For a kid." I watched his eyebrow twitch. This seemed to irritate him, which pleased me. I took a sip of my champagne again as he composed himself and looked at me thoughtfully.

"Do you know the saying: "The character of a man is known from his conversations?""

"Wasn't that Menander?" He asked, resting his chin in his hand.

"Very good Mr. King, you certainly know your Greek poets." I paused and placed my glass on my side table. "And do you know what that means?" I questioned him.

"There are many meanings to that saying. But I'm sure that you have one of your own," He replied, tracing a finger around the rim of his glass. "I'm interested in your take." He motioned for me to speak.

"Alright, I think I will." I gave a smile. "I believe the saying means exactly what it says. You can understand a man's character from the conversations you have with him. And boy, do I know a lot about your character, even from this miniscule conversation we just had."

Nathaniel raised an eyebrow. It seems that he was interested in what I had to say. "Oh really Ms. Velker? Please go on. I would love to hear the rest of this."

"Well sir, just from the one phone conversation, two emails, and this current conversation I came to the conclusion that you were born into a family of wealth, where your parents obviously spoiled you as a child. I mean, the language you use screamed spoiled rich boy. I could even tell from the clothes and the plane. Please, how obviously rich kid," I explained.

He remained silent, with a smile spread across his face. Clearly, he wanted me to continue. I cleared my throat before continuing.

"From a young age, I believe that you were highly intelligent. And, as you grew older, your family paid every expense to have you well educated, which only allowed you to further your intellect, to the point where you thought you no longer needed the guidance of a teacher."