Chapter 9

There was silence between us for several minutes as the tension ran high. My grip tightened on the phone. Was King bluffing? Or did he actually know that I was a vampire? If he was, he certainly didn't let on. Still though, I was annoyed. Deep down, however, I was also a bit curious. How had King figured out that I was a vampire? In a few deep breaths, I relaxed and gave a smile.

"A vampire," I repeated slowly. "That's quite the theory Mr. King. How did you come to that conclusion?" I asked, slowly lowering myself onto my bed, my head resting on the covers.

"It was really quite simple," he chuckled. "From the information I gathered previously and within the last few minutes I just came to that logical conclusion."

I raised my eyebrow. This King fellow was certainly an interesting person. Intelligent, that was for certain. Probably rich, seeing that he could easily make a long distance call like this. And there was no doubt that King was cocky, I could tell by the sound of his voice.

"Do tell me your steps to coming to this conclusion Mr. King. I'm curious," I persisted, as I began to bite my nails nervously.

From my bed, I began to look around the room for cameras or mics. But I found nothing obvious. However, that didn't mean that King couldn't be watching. I eyed the door, and calculated how long it would take me to reach it. I figured about a thirty-five seconds: thirty seconds to get to the door and another five to open it. Suddenly, I noticed that I was slipping back into old habits: the suspicion, the questions, the calculations.

King's voice pulled me back to the conversation. "Of course Ms. Velker. My firs piece of evidence was the call," he explained.

"I don't quite follow Mr. King..." I said, confused. "How does me calling you at night connect to your theory?"

"First off, you're calling me from a unknown number. This is the 21st century Ms. Velker. Everyone has a cellphone with a number that shows up on caller display."

"I don't have a cellphone. So sue me," I said.

"Let me finish Ms. Velker," he retorted. "Second, you called preciously at nightfall. Most people assume that evening falls between half an hour before sunset and half an hour before sunrise, so would call then. You, on the other hand, called precisely at nightfall," he argued.

"Well, as I said before, I was moving. Because of that, I was unpacking until early this morning. I just woke up twenty minutes ago," I argued. "Now, I'm sorry that I sound argumentative but this conversation is over unless you have actual evidence proving that I'm a vampire."

"Actually, I do," he replied.

"Oh? Do tell," I insisted.

"Another thing that led me to come to this conclusion was your name," he began. "The name Amaris, I found, is quite a common first name for most Hispanic women. However, the name Velker is not."

"What do you mean? Of course Velker is a common last name for someone from Spain," I argued, sitting up from the bed, a hand resting beside me.

"Don't take me for a fool Ms. Velker," Nathaniel retorted. Even when he argued, he still had this calm demeanor about him. "The name Velker derives from old French, if I'm correct. And if I'm not mistaken is the last name of a man named Temil Velker, who, according to legends, was a famous Vampire assassin."

I furrowed my brow, my hand squeezing the phone. I was tempted, at that moment, to just hang up the phone mid-conversation. But that would not look good for me. Instead, I continued to listen.