Chapter 16

One month later:

There was a knock at the door and I hurried from the kitchen to answer it, licking the blood from my fingers from my recent hunt. As I opened the door, I smiled sweetly.

"Hey Sophia," I sang, stepping aside to let her through. "Sorry that I'm not ready. I just returned from a hunt not too long ago," I explained as she followed me across the apartment.

She took a seat on the sofa as I continued to my bedroom. "I'll be out in a moment."

"Take your time Amaris, I'm in no rush," Sophia replied.

I nodded and entered my room to change. From a pile of clean laundry on my bed I grabbed a slick pair of jeans and a black halter-top. A book fell from my bed and landed on the floor. I picked it up and froze: Hume's Treasties. Gently, I turned it in my hands and looked at it's crinkled pages and dog-eared pages. It was Ales' copy. He had been reading that when I first met him. I gave a sigh. I couldn't believe that Ales' death had been over a month ago. And things slowly were beginning to normalize. Everyone had started work again. We all were socializing. In fact, Sophia and I had started going out on a regular basis to one of the local bars or clubs. But deep down, we all still missed Ales deeply. I placed the book carefully back on my bed.

As I entered the living room, pulling my hair into its usual bun, I found Sophia sitting in Ales' armchair. I stopped briefly before silently walking over and tracing my fingers along the fabric along the top of the chair.

"This is the one thing that I was glad not to sell," I commented as I rounded the corner of the chair.

Sophia jumped, obviously surprised by my sudden appearance. "Amaris..." She sat up. She rested her feet on the floor. She cleared her throat and sat back. "You know, I'm actually happy that you kept it as well."

She smiled sadly and ran her hands along the armrests. It was clear that the chair brought back happy memories for her as well.

There was a silence between us and I took a seat on the sofa. "You know..." I began. "We don't have to go out tonight."

"Hmmm?" She looked up from her lap. It seemed that she was a little preoccupied with her memories "Amaris, if we don't go out, then what are we going to do?" She asked, sitting back in the chair.

"Well..." I began, hurrying to the kitchen. I actually had the perfect idea. From the freezer I brought out a tub of ice cream, and got two spoons. When I returned to the living room, I gave Sophia a smile. "I always wanted to have someone to have a girls night in." I presented her with the two spoons while I collapsed onto the sofa.

Sophia returned the smile gently and joined me on the sofa. From my lap Sophia took the ice cream and one spoon. Meanwhile, I took the remote and began flipping around the channels before stopping on a romantic comedy called The Sweetest Thing, which was halfway done. By this point Sophia had already started eating the ice cream. She gave a satisfied sigh.

"Mmmmmm, you were right Amaris, doing a girls night was an amazing idea!" She cried, resting her back against the sofa cushions.

"What can I say? I'm just full of amazing ideas." I gave a smile. "Now quit hogging the ice cream," I chuckled, as I joined her, reaching my spoon into the tub.

"Sorry hun, couldn't resist the creamy, chocolaty goodness," she replied pre-bite.

"Whatever you say Sophia," I retorted, dipping my spoon back into the tub.

When the film was over, Sophia and I tossed our spoons into the empty container. As Sophia placed it onto the coffee table and rested her back against one of the cushions, I rolled myself a joint.

Even before I could light it, Sophia glared at me. "You know, you should quit smoking. It's a disgusting habit," Sophia commented, resting her hands in her lap.

Casually, I stared at the joint, sighing. "I know, I know." I paused. "It's just...so hard."

"Yes, I know it's hard. But think of the affect it's having on your body," Sophia said.

I pursed my lips, annoyed. I already knew the affects it was having on my body. Did Sophia really have to be my mother? She knew that I needed this until I was completely over Ales. But I held back my pride and gave another sigh.

"Alright, I'll take the necessary steps towards quitting," I told her.

"That's all I'm asking." Sophia nodded before getting to her feet. "Well, I should head out. I have a few things that I have to do before going to bed. And I have to wake up early for a few meetings tomorrow." She stuck out her tongue and winked at me.

"Alright." I smiled and walked her to the door. After she put on her shoes, I opened the door. "Sorry we didn't go out as expected," I apologized.

"Nah, don't worry about it," She replied. "It was actually nice to sit back and stay in, for once."

"Next week I promise we'll go out." I hugged her gently and air kissed her cheeks. "First round of drinks are on me."

She smirked. "I'll hold you to that promise." She turned and hurried down the street to her car.

Once the door closed behind me I returned to the living room and stared at the joint on the table, my hand hovering over it. I wanted to have it. But Sophia's words still hung over me so I couldn't bring myself to actually smoking it. Not right away, at least. I huffed and marched into the kitchen, deciding to clean instead. I tossed the spoons into the dishwasher and threw the empty ice cream container into the recycling bin. After which I fixed the pillows, folded the blanket and tossed it over the back of the sofa. Finally, when it was to my satisfaction I flopped back onto the sofa and finally lit my joint, smoking peacefully and enjoying the buzz.

It was only a quick smoke. When I was done the sun was already beginning to rise. I placed the nib into the ashtray and walked to the window, drawing the curtains. Silently, I shuffled to my bedroom to change for bed. From a pile of clean clothes, I pulled out a clean tank top and undies, changing quickly. I bushed my teeth and hair quickly before returning to my room.

However, just as I was entering my bedroom, I heard another knock at the door. I gasped.

"Shit," I muttered.

No doubt it was my landlord with another complaint about the smell. I wrapped my bathrobe around me and carefully opened the windows in the living room. From the bookshelf I grabbed a bottle of Febreeze and sprayed it around the room. It wouldn't completely kill the smell, but hopefully it would at least mask it. The knock came again.

"Coming!" I called. I ran for the door and opened it before a third knock came. "Oh hello Mr. Rowan. Can I help you?" I asked, my hands grasping the door handle.

My landlord was a short, fat man, who was slightly balding and always had a thin layer of sweat on his face.

"There have been complaints about the smell coming from your apartment...again," He snapped. He sniffed the air and snubbed his nose in disgust. "In fact, I can smell it right now."

"That?" I asked, gulping. I sniffed and gave a pitiful laugh. "Oh, that! That's just incense," I lied. "I'm sorry that it's bothering everyone."

"Incense my ass!" Mr. Rowan snapped again. He pointed a pudgy finger at me and narrowed his eyes. "This is your third warning Ms. Velker. If there are any more complaints then you're out of my building. Do I make myself clear?"

"Of course Mr. Rowan. I completely understand and it won't happen again sir, I promise," I told him with a smile.

He turned and walked angrily down the door. I slammed the door behind me.

"Asshole..." I muttered as I returned to my room.

Of course I would do it again. I would just be much sneakier about how I smoked. Once in the security of my room, I was finally able to sleep. Slowly, I crawled into bed and pulled my blankets over my head. I fell asleep instantly as my head hit the pillow.