Chapter 13

Garrett looked on at the tableau before him with barely concealed amusement.

While Beatrice was smiling at Emma, his faux fiancé practically had steam coming out of her ears and the smile she wore did nothing to fool him. His best guess at why she seemed angry was that she was jealous of Bea. Which was ridiculous. Beatrice was only a friend and never in a million years could she stir the same tumultuous feelings within him that Emma did.

"I was on my way to see your mother, she had called for me," Emma turned to him and said.

"By all means, don't let us keep you," he bowed, grinning despite himself.

Emma smiled back, a little too wide, it almost looked like she was grinding her teeth. "Excuse me, Beatrice. I hope I will see you during luncheon."

"Of course," Bea said.

Emma said nothing to him before exiting his study. "You should probably follow her," Bea murmured once Emma was gone.

Garrett had been staring after Emma and had been wondering the very same thing. He looked at Bea when she spoke. "I don't know...I am enjoying the attention," he mused.

"You're horrible," Bea laughed and then practically pushed him out of the door. Garrett obliged and began to follow Emma.

"Lady Gordon," he called out, jogging a bit to reach her. She stopped but did not turn around. "Emma," he said more softly once he was standing behind her. She turned slowly, again wearing a smile. Lord but he never wanted to see that look on her face again. "Did my mother really call for you?"

"Well..."

"I need to speak with you. Take a walk with me," he said and grabbed her hand, dragging her with him. He did not know where he was taking her...but he wanted to go someplace where no one would dare to disturb them—not the servants, not his cheeky siblings, or any of the guests.

Aha.

"Garrett, I am busy. And surely people will notice our absence. What about Lady Beatrice—"

"I don't care," he said, not stopping. He did not stop until they reached his terrace.

He stepped aside, allowing her to step onto the terrace before following her out. The wind was bracing but it wasn't overly cold.

"What is it?" she finally asked, her cheeks rosy because of the exertion of climbing so many flights of stairs. "Why did you bring me here?"

"There is nothing inappropriate between Beatrice and I. We have only ever been friends," he said. Her expression changed.

"My Lord, whatever gave you the impression that I cared? I realize that we are not actually courting and you are free to mingle with whomever you wish unless it doesn't jeopardize the work we've put in," she rambled.

"It is obvious we like each other, why not admit it?" he asked calmly.

"I do not know what you're talking about."

"Don't you?" he murmured, closing the distance between them. Emma walked backward, unbeknownst to herself. Garrett stopped walking towards her. "I would not go further were I you, unless you enjoy falling off of tall buildings."

"Huh?" Emma looked back. "Oh," she blushed and walked towards the other side of the terrace, putting sufficient distance between them.

"Emma," he sighed wearily. "Do you believe me?"

Her dark eyes flashed. "Is Lady Huxley married?" she asked.

"She was married but her husband passed last Christmas," he said.