CHAPTER FORTY THREE

Muhammad pulled a sharp right into their compound parking lot, and again just like through the whole drive, he turned to glance at Ruwaida, fully, since after all, not Mama nor Zarah were in the car any longer, he'd 10 minutes back dropped them home. Ruwaida was left with many thoughts as she peered at her fumbling hands, wondering why on earth he was digging holes all over her.

When he turned away to strap off his belt, she got a cue to slowly push the door open and exit the car. Except unfortunately, he was fast to come round to where she stood, hastily closing back the door and again, giving her the look. She had no choice but to give him a satisfied smile and then walk away into the house.

The moment they marched in, Ruwaida was met with an exhausting sight. The first was the kitchen which she was yet to tidy up, then her laundry that sat in the basket placed idly on her bed, the traditional clothes of Muhammad that needed starching. She wrinkled her nose. What a sight!

"Do not worry I called Sadiya she'll be here soon, InshaAllah she'll help take care of the house for the mean time," Muhammad walked in from nowhere and guided her to the only cushion in the room. She sat down. "You just rest hm?," what's he up to now?' She mulled, taking a decko at his every move. Why was he jittery? Those weren't the only things that disturbed her about his actions, many more did!

He dragged the side table and sat facing her. "How do you feel?," The window of her room was open so she could smell the heavenly scent of the flowers from the garden, a haze of newcut grass left by the efforts of Mallan Bello the gatekeeper, but Ruwaida was, that day, unappreciative of such seraphic smell, it made her nauseated and she turned away her face from the the window side.

"Just as usual," she finally replied. And then went on. "Except that I weirdly don't like the fragrance of the lilies...," She creased her brows as if thinking hard about how bizarre that is for her and then laughed nervously when Muhammad in a trice drew her in his embrace.

"Ruwaida?," She hummed. All she wanted to do was obstruct the thoughts that had her head in chaos and her heart in an erratic clobber. But she couldn't, it was all she remember's when she'd look at him and now, been in a situation that reminded her of the entirety, had just placed her in a maelstrom. Her poor heart did it again. "Do you really not feel any different?,"

"Am I supposed to feel different?," she asked. His question was obscure to her.He slowly pulled away and delved through his pocket. Finally pulling out the envelope, he gave it to her. "Read it," Ruwaida felt off-balance when she eventually set her eyes on few particular words printed in the sheet he'd given her.

VERIFICATION OF PREGNANCY
Patient name: Ruwaida Mahmoud Moolah
Age: 19
Date of birth: ...
Health condition: Critical
Medical personnel signature:
Aishatu

She read again, raising her lachrymose eyes to glance at a grinning Muhammad. At first she was embarrassed to unspeakable degrees, pushing back the smile that threatened to flare up and then she began sobbing, she found herself more overwhelmed than she could ever imagine. Could she really be? Could there be misprints during test reports? Oh Allah! She couldn't think straight.

And when she folded the paper and looked up and caught Muhammad's eyes staring back at her with genuine benevolence, she let the smile emit lava, feeling tears of sheer high spirits boil vastly in her throat. "Turaad!," She cried, putting her hands round his neck. "Could this really be true? Please tell me I'm not dreaming,"

Muhammad stood up with her in his arms, holding her vehemently. "You ain't dreaming inamorata," Muhammad laughed, a soft excited sort of laugh when she held him very closely. He leaned in and pecked her neck, and while she wept, she released a small chuckle. He twirled her around, getting his kick from her radiant laughter. For him, there was nothing better. There was no feeling better!

A little while later, as they sat side by side on the dinning table and eating the hot steaming spaghettini Sadiya had prepared, there was a looming silence in the atmosphere. For Ruwaida, it was silence filled with so many emotions, some which had managed to dampen her mood, while some had given her great hopes. But the later were on a verge of nonexistence.

Noticing the change in her mood, Muhammad perched closer to her chair and picked up one of her hands to grasp it sheltered in both his, protectively. "What happened? You don't like the food?,"

"No, no I do," She hurried with an answer. "I'm just a little worried," Ruwaida looked at her hands and then sighed. "I just worry that my condition might affect the baby," Muhammad looked at her considerably and she a little shakily, smiled and said. "Don't you think?,"

"Yes there possibly will be, but an oncologist will explain things better. We'll see Dr Zainab InshaAllah, nothing much to worry about,"

Muhammad was too fast in making conclusions. Alas, Dr Zainab had worriedly stated an entire mismatched thought. There will be particularly, a set of pros and cos for her being pregnant while going through medications.

"Ruwaida, cancer will not result in the need to terminate your pregnancy. However, in some cases, you might have to deliver your baby earlier than planned," Dr Zainab stated, with the couple sitting adjacent to her in her office. "In addition to I, you'll have to start meeting an OB-GYN specialist until after your first trimester, I don't know how but you'll have to stay put of your present therapy due to its ability to alter with the fetus," She reached forward and handed a paper to Muhammad. "You can contact him, he's a specialist in this field and InshaAllah there won't be much problems,"

Muhammad took it with a smile. "Thank you Zainab, but what about Ruwaida? We'd already started preparations to meet Tasha for the Said treatments? How do we go about it? Plus, she can't travel while pregnant, at least not until after about 4 months," Watching and listening carefully, Ruwaida kinked her head to the side, not remembering when they talked about traveling or anything of that sort.

"Ruwaida and the healthcare team will need to discuss all the risks and benefits of managing her cancer and pregnancy. I think it'll be proper if you can meet the head of the Mayo Clinic's address I just gave you, with available tactics, it would turn out problem free, and at the end of it all, doctor might be able to induce her labor early if necessary," She was taking out a blank paper from her cupboard as she spoke.

"We are most grateful Dr Zainab for the briefing," Dr Zainab smiled, even more appreciative that she was able to help. It meant everything to her.

They walked in silence along the flower filled pathway that led from the casualty block back to the thence then the expanded parking lot, having a pretty serene silence with a few cars coming in and out, Muhammad stopped on the spur of the moment.

"Do not worry, everything will be fine,"

Ruwaida smiled and inched closer. "I know, InshaAllah," Muhammad stared down at her upturned anxious face and smile crookedly. Reaching out for her hand, he began to move, walking purposefully across the parking lot and through the small gate of the hospital with Ruwaida scuttling along his side whole heartedly. "Where are we going? I thought you have work till the evening?,"

"I have a morning off, so I'll be here with you," She timidly smiled and thought that was explainable, but them leaving the car, that she did not get, at all.

It was a restaurant they were heading to. A nice one to be specific. They talked about themselves while they'd an appealing brunch, their families, likes and dislikes and Ruwaida thought that was the very first time they'd talked so much about themselves. It was the furthering of what promised to be a more than a fine delightful relationship.

****
I'm updating late again 🤭
Pardon 🌚
I can't even say why I'm late...:(
How was the week?

Vote
Comment
share 🤍

Love_
SilentWriter 🦋