CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

By the time Muhammad washed his hands in the small sink and dumped the plastic gloves into the bin beside him, it clicked 4pm exactly, and he wouldn't say he isn't happy, in fact, his excitement knew no bounds. Whenever he recalls his wedding to be right at the closest corner, he just feels far fetched, most especially because he'll be able to monitor her health, and do all in his might to see she gets better, with the help of Allah.

He closed the ward door behind him and marched to his office. And he remembered that he wanted to discuss something important with Mama and he totally forgot due to him being very occupied the whole week. Making it to stick in his mind so he wouldn't forget, he slowly walked into his office and was surprised to find Abdullah, sitting with a hand to his chin and whilst continuously shaking his legs.

Muhammad frowned and placed his bag on the table, making Abdullah look up from the sound it made. "Ha Thank Allah you're here! Where have you been," Abdullah stood up, shook Muhammad's hand as he sat, and then went back to his former position.

"I was in the female ward, you remember Laila? The girl who had kidney stones? She's being recovering quite fine, I checked on her," Muhammad replied, taking in Dr A's worried expression and he wondered why he looked that petrified. Because around his worry, he also seemed scared. "What happened?,"

Abdullah brooded silently for a moment before he spoke. "I can't believe Maryam had done this to me, I just can't believe it," Suddenly, the happiness Muhammad woke up with went flying out the window, hearing Maryam's name. A girl with such a beautiful name had turned herself into something despicable.

"What has she done," Muhammad narrowed his eyes at his friend, knowing that, his friend's wife's unbearable ways only gets an each higher every single time.

His voice hardened and when he spoke, the bantering note left and he talked with very genuine feelings. "I just saw some papers in her bedroom today, by mistake, it was dated around September, Dr M, Maryam aborted our child!, our child!, she didn't even tell me she was pregnant," Abdullah used his small white handkerchief he always takes with him, to wipe his face, even tho he isn't sweating. Just something he usually does and it became like a routine.

"Innalillahi wainna Ilaihirrajiun," Muhammad became unmeasurably speechless. He never knew Maryam could turn out that heartless, and now hearing Abdullah say it, he refused to believe that someone will want to do such, even after 3 good years of marriage. "And what did she say when you confronted her, maybe the doctor mentioned some complications?,"

"Oh! No there are no such as complications, she's perfectly alright! The same thing she always says, she's not ready to settle for children, and she wouldn't acknowledge her mistake of not informing me, or letting me be part of her decisions, I just don't know Muhammad, Maryam is just...ya Rabb, I had to leave the house because I didn't want to do something we'll both come to regret,"

Muhammad sighed loudly and folded his hands to his bosom. He is the worst when it has to do with talking, he is only good when it comes to problems that could be cured with drugs, but now, his best friend seemed on a cliff, and he rarely could offer any help. "I'm sorry Dr A, give her some time, she'll come around InshaAllah, I know what she did is in all honesty wrong, but she's of not knowing, why she's always making reckless decisions, have patience," Abdullah nodded and picked his phone that laid on the desk.

"And you! I'm still angry at you for telling me very very late that you've found a wife," through his troubles, he managed a travesty of a smile, but sincerely happy for his companion. "And I hope she's doing all right? How about her intercession? How will you go about it?,"

Muhammad shook his head and moved uncomfortably on the chair. "I think we'll have to move to Abuja, and then transfer her file to the Mayo Clinic there Allah's willing," He replied.

"I understand, I presume it's even best if she gets treatment out of the country don't you think,"

Muhammad thought for a while before he answered. "Well, I'll have to see what's to be done, that's why we'd the date set for a very short time, I hope I'll be able to offer all the help I can," he smiled as Abdullah dragged his hand and shook it assuringly.

"You'll, so, how about we grab lunch? I think I'll faint now if I don't eat," Abdullah laughed at his own joke as he rose up.

Muhammad stood up too. "My bad! I have to see Mama very urgently, but you could come along so we eat at my house, dama Mama complained of not seeing you around,"Muhammad sauntered out and turned slightly to look at Abdullah who smiled mildly in embarrassment. Indeed, it was long when he last visited Hajia Hadiza.

"Ouch!," Muhammad moved backwards, his eyes up as he stared at Zarah; then, he looked confused, wondering why she came to bai office, and then a little scared too, hoping she didn't here them talking about Maryam. "Ya Turaad, watch it," she slowly massaged her forehead, looking absolutely clueless.

"Zarah? What are you doing here? Have you being standing by the door," Abdullah looked at Zarah and then back at Muhammad, wondering why he always has a problem when Zarah visits him. At least, his sister cares that much.

"No, I just finished my lectures for the day, and I thought why not go home with you," she smiled widely and then continued. "Please can I have your phone? I'll just use it for a sec," she shook her head pleadingly. "Please,"

"Come on! Muhammad give her the phone,"

"No I will not, what happened to hers? Don't mind her Dr A, I'm sure she'll go through my stuff," Abdullah chuckled lightly.

"Please Yaya, just two minutes," Muhammad sighed loudly and handed her the phone. He watched as she walked to the doorway, and did what she intended, leaving him absolutely unaware. Walking back to them, she smiled mischievously and gave him back the phone. "Thank you,"

"Oh don't you even thank me, if I see anything amiss, you'll answer to the consequences," Muhammad grunted, leaving Abdullah totally amused by their relationship. "Well, can we leave now,"

"Er, Muhammad, I think I'll have to cancel that lunch today," He looked apologetically at Muhammad. "I think I'll be in the hospital for three more hours, I totally forgot about my shift,"

"Oh that's right, well then, we will talk later have a good day," Muhammad dragged Zarah's armed and walked away with her. He kept bugging her on what she did with his phone and she kept saying nothing, all the way to the exit.

Abdullah shook his head, feeling a tad bit better, talking to Muhammad and then having to watch brother and sister banter. A shrill from his phone made him halt, one hand slowly pulled away from the knob of the door and the other hastily reaching to look at his screen. His brows creased in confusion seeing the message seemed oblivious.

        UNKNOWN: don't worry too much, people find difficulties in their lives, but one learns to pass through them eventually....X

He shook his head and placed back the phone into his trouser pocket, that message was absolutely not his!

So, any guesses about the unknown?! 🥱🥱

Love_
SilentWriter 🦋