CHAPTER FORTEEN

She had finally slept through the night that day, without much dreams, or bad thoughts that always cloud her mind. She sat up with a bright smile, tho, for her life, she can't tell why her mood had suddenly changed, that immensely. But soon enough, she felt moody, especially when Mama had walked in with a plate of food.

"You've woken up quite early today, ya jikin naki (how are you feeling)," Barira asked with a smile. She can't remember the last time Ruwaida had sat up by herself without anyone's aid. And it sure had made her feel better, much much better. Barira can't muse on the last time she'd slept properly, she always sits in the living room and recite the few verses she can, make duas and check on her daughter. "Here have this fried potatoes and then take you drugs,"

She huffed silently as her head turned towards the poly bag, filled with drugs, which she had to take. "Mama, I told you not to buy any more potatoes...you know it cost almost half your monthly budget, please Mama," she looked up innocently, adjusting her sky blue cap as she did. She knows she's sick and needs the most healthy diet, but, to her, it's not much of a reason to spend extravagantly. She wouldn't mind eating the leftovers; it never bothered her.

"Kinga, I didn't come here to get lectured about what to buy and what not to, I want an empty plate while you silently take you drugs immediately afterwards," Mama answered with all affirmative, stretching out her hands to place the plate on Ruwaida's laps. "And Billahi don't you dare blow chunks this time, I'll make you take the drugs again, so better make sure they pass your throat,"  

"Okay," Ruwaida said soothingly, wondering why Mama seemed a bit angry. "What about Barra? Is she still asleep,"

Mama grinned at her and said. "Yes she's, and Abdul left for school early today, I think he made mention of a new Maths teacher," she laughed at her last statement, with Ruwaida too, her voice coming out weak.

They sat in silence until Mama heard knocks by the entrance and left to check. Ruwaida nodded affably and took the cup of water, then raised it to her lips to drink, but only to stop midway, seeing Zarah walk in alongside Mama.

"Zarah," she called with a grin, placing down the cups with her arms going wide open for a hug.

"Waidattyyyyyy," she hugged her back even tighter, adjusted more and sat on the bed with her. "Look at you! All better and glowing," she teased, shoving her bag on the floor, while she couldn't clearly remember how she got rid of her heels.

"Wai glowing! I can't tell if you weren't just talking about yourself," Ruwaida replied, giving her a teasing look over. Normally, Zarah only gets that hyper when she's about to gossip, or had something she'd want to say. And Ruwaida is positive that it must be one of the two!

"Oh please! How are you feeling," She asked, suddenly looking worried. Ruwaida took her hand and gave it an assuring squeeze, while she managed a travesty of a  smile that suddenly made Zarah smile. She without doubts couldn't say it had took Ruwaida every ounce in her to fake that smile, all she knew is that, Ruwaida is feeling better.

"I'm good now Alhamdulillah," She said, her voice thick with lots of emotions. "Mama's doing a great job in forcing me to take bitter drugs," she added, only then did she notice the absence of Mama.

Zarah broke into an uncontrollable laugh. "She's just looking out for you, stop being a baby," Ruwaida shook her head dismissively as she took another spoon of the fried chips. The silence that fell on them could have been utterly embarrassing, but, Zarah suddenly felt the need to say something. "Mmm...Waida,"

Even without her saying it, one could clearly see how suddenly she had looked scared. She slightly turned to look at Zarah, trying to stare back unfazed, since after all, Zarah haven't said anything had she? But she couldn't place why she'd felt fear by just the way Zarah had called her.

"Have you talked to Ya Turaad,"

Ruwaida looked down at her plate and gulped hard. She had tried not to think about anything that had to do with her best friend's brother, but how she'd failed! All through that week, she had silently prayed for him to call her, even if he's just going to ask about her health and nothing else. "No," Came her reply, fervently avoiding Zarah's gaze on her every move.

"Are you serious? That means he hasn't informed you about it," Zarah asked again, sounding surprised and happy at the same time.

Looking up with much interest, Ruwaida felt a strong urge to ask about it, even tho, something in her screamed a NO! "Tell me about what," she asked, munching noiselessly on the only thing she loved eating other than awara; groundnuts.

"That he's getting Married," Zarah answered, as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

Ruwaida's heart banged heavily in her chest at Zarah's words, not minding how her hand reached it position, as if that could stop its wild beating. "What...?," she looked utterly dumbfounded, and needed much clarification.

"I'm serious, he told me he has found a girl and can you imagine that he's still in Yamma? Trying to convince his uncles to visit her parents as soon as possible! I can't even imagine his impatience," she blabbered in between laughs. "Ruwaida, why do you look sick all of a sudden? Is something wrong,"

Ruwaida did not even hear her. All she heard were Zarah's words of him getting married. She can't imagine how she'd misled herself and dreamt of Muhammad Turaad Ibrahim with an abundance of details that would have astonished him if he knew. She felt a sudden need to cry, lay back in bed and cry again.

"Ruwaida are you okay? Should I call Mama? Ruwaida?!,"

She hastily raised her glossy eyes to stare at Zarah. "Uhm...sorry I was...I mean..mm, never mind...that's nice, May Allah bless their union,"

A smirk made its way across Zarah's face as she reached out for Ruwaida's hand. It is  surprising how she'd managed to make Ruwaida show what she really felt for the first time. "I'm not sure that's what you were supposed to say,"

Ruwaida with her already blocked head managed to smile. "What was I supposed to say then,"

Zarah shrugged. "I don't know, Maybe use an us" instead of their',"

Ruwaida with her totally blocked head did not understand Zarah, she had only absentmindedly hummed and continued eating, using it as a distraction that failed miserably to block Muhammad's thoughts from her head.

Realizing that she had actually been missing him, She just knew she is a gone case!

Love_
Silentwriter ☕️