20

20

The next afternoon, I drove Jaycee to the airport so she could catch her flight back to Colorado.

"Remember what I said last night." I told her, running my hand down her soft blonde hair.

"I'll try."

I brought her forehead to my lips and kissed it gently, allowing my lips to linger.

When I pulled away, they made an announcement about the Colorado flight.

"Hey, Jaycee," I murmured. "I will miss you."

A small tear escaped her eyes. "I'll miss you too, Jack."

I kissed her lips quickly, but tenderly and let her load her flight.

I almost told her I loved her, but I didn't know just yet if it was true or not.

Lance and my parents loved me and look where that got them. I hurt everyone that loves me. Maybe I made a mistake.
She was just going to get hurt, and I won't have anything to say about it because I'm a ticking bomb waiting to explode.

"Stop thinking." I turned around and saw Caleb.

My eyebrows furrowed when I saw him. "What're you doing here?"

"Drove Alesha here. She has to go to Michigan on a business trip."

"You and Riley alone? That's not going to be any good."

"Hell no, my mom's taking him during my classes. I've only got to deal with the kid at night." I chuckled.

"Got him with you?"

"Alesha took him to the bathroom. He tries to pee on me whenever I try and help him." I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

Caleb and I sat at the chairs in the airport, waiting for Alesha to return with Riley.

I spotted Alesha coming over with Riley, who was holding her hand.

"Jackson!" The little guy yelled and ran over to me; I picked him up and settled him on my lap. "Caleb said its been 54 years since you came over!"

I gave Caleb and Alesha a confused look when Riley called his dad by his name.

"His doctor said it's just a stage." Alesha explained, with a chuckle. "Riley, he's your dad."

They called for the Michigan flight, like they had for Colorado, and Alesha stood up.

"Bye, Jack, I'll see you soon. Stay strong." She gave me a quick hug and knelt down in front of Riley, who was now standing next to me. "Be nice to your dad, honey. And nice to grandma." Riley frowned and crossed his arms.

He was a mini version of Caleb. Literally.

"I love you, kiddo. I will be back in 2 days." She kissed his cheek and hugged him, even though he refused to hug her back.

I looked away as Caleb and Alesha talked, they always got a little into their see you later kisses. Not something appropriate for mine or Riley's eyes.

I should probably go home and study, but I honestly want nothing more than to go out for a drink with my friends.

Alesha went to her flight; we hadn't even got two feet away when Riley screamed louder than those girls in the cliché horror movies.

Caleb groaned and picked Riley up who immediately started beating at Caleb.

Caleb could use a little help right now.

Jackson, you're stalling, my conscious warned me.

Psh, no. I'm going to a help a friend watch his worst enemy - his child.