Unnerved

Sree

The room was as I remembered 3 years back.. I recollected, when I had dragged a drunk Vikram back to his bed..
I looked at myself in the mirror.. I touched the thread on my neck...
Tears fell from my eyes, seeing how I looked... This was supposed to be a happy moment,..

I had to stay here, in this room because Veena Ma was here in the Chennai house.
It was supposed to be our first night but , I knew what would happen..

I recollected the island,.. Where he had asked me where I wanted to go for my honeymoon.. I had said Mauritius, all my dreams.. Gone..

The door opened... I didn't turn back.. I looked at him.. Through the mirror, and my heart beat fastened.. He looked at me for a second, before moving to his cupboard and taking out his.. Night shirt and pant..
I turned my attention to my phone, as I heard him changing... I glanced a bit and saw him.. With a shirt.. I recollected, the day in the hotel... When I fell on him,.. In the bathroom..

I removed the jewels.. I imagined him, coming behind me and holding me, like he did that day..
I pushed my thoughts away,.. Where was my luggage?
Veena ma had asked the servant to bring my bags, but he hasn't come yet.
I didn't want to ask Vikram, who seemed busy.. On his phone...

I went out of the room.. All the lights were off,.. I went to Veena ma' s room but she was asleep.. I didn't want to disturb her. ..
Diya went back to her hostel...
I went to my room.. Should I sleep in this saree?..

I was wondering what to do... When he broke my chain of thoughts..

"You are here only because of my mom", he said

" I know" I said

"We are husband and wife, only in front of the family, no one officially is also supposed to know", he said

" Ok ", I said

"You can sleep on the couch or the floor", he said..

I went near the bed and grabbed a pillow, there was no extra blanket.. I expected this..

He looked at me.. " No! I cant be in the same room as you", he said

"What do you want me to do? Veena ma is asleep, shall I call her ", I asked irritated.. What was his problem!

" I can go to the guest room, but if Ma sees me there at night or in the morning.. I heard she warned you!" I said

He looked irritated...

He looked at the curtains.. The balcony?

"Sleep there! ", he said

I opened my mouth in shock.. " What! ", I asked

" What did you think, I married you to become your husband and to live happily with you...? You must regret each day, on why you even tried to come near me", he said

Who was this monster!!.. I didn't want to see his face anymore...

"You want me to sleep in the balcony! Fine! I don't want to be in the same room as you too! ", I said and moved to the balcony and closed the curtains.. So he can't see me...

I sobbed... With anger... Frustration.. Pain!...
It was very cold there, I wondered if he would bring me a blanket at least but he didn't..

I slept in the balcony on my first night, in the cold , wearing my wedding saree... How more worse can things go...

I couldn't sleep of course,... I woke up early.. And entered the room to leave...
He was sleeping peacefully!

I left the room and asked the servants for my luggage,.. I got ready in the guest room..