Chapter 4 - The Coffee Shop

The time was 1:45 on a Tuesday, and I waited patiently on the front benches of the library for my group to arrive while reviewing my notes for the biology quiz. I felt my phone vibrating in my jeans pocket. It was Yusuf calling. I had forgotten we all exchanged numbers just in case we couldn't meet up. 

"Assalam Alikum?"

"Walikum Assalam Zulaikha. 

Um, I am at the coffee shop outside the campus with Matt and Emily. We were wondering if you want to come do the script here instead of the library?"

"Yeah, I will be there in 10 minutes," I said while rolling my eyes. I didn't want to walk that far but didn't want to seem arrogant since they were already there. 

                                                                                                ***

I loved the smell of coffee shops. It reminded me that I needed to buy some scented candles for my room.

I saw Yusuf, Matt, and Emily sitting at a table near the window in the back

Yusuf rose from his chair as I approached the table. "Hey, I am about to place the order. What do you want?"

"Masala chai ?"

Yusuf looked at me with a straight face. Unable to understand if I was being serious or joking.

"I am kidding—one small cappuccino with almond milk for me. Thanks.

"Thank God. I wouldn't have known how to explain masala chai to a barista. Matt and I have started parts of the script if you want to take a look and add some lines."

"Yeah sure"

I took a seat and listened as Matt guided me through the script. Emily was picking out Turkish names for our characters. Seconds later, I saw a young girl around my age walk in. She was wearing a yellow hijab complementing her green eyes. MashAllah She looked sumptuous!

Yusuf, surprised to see her, went to give her a hug, which is Haram, BTW!