The End with New Beginnings

I glimpsed around the room. A concerned look was on everyone's faces. Distressed about what was to come next, Mom wiped her tears as she started to carry all the dirty plates into the kitchen.

Dad was in the other room lecturing my brother on the phone about how he had messed up as a Muslim father.

"What time will he be here?"
Mehreen asked, looking out the window.

"In a bit."

Mom came from the kitchen and sat in front of Saffa and me. Her eyes filled with disgust. Looking at me up and down, I knew she was judging my life choices.

"I told you to stay away from that boy, yet you did not listen. Log kya kahenge?!"

Ah, the log kya kahenge line

Ah, the log kya kahenge line. The one that has ruined so many dreams. The line every brown parent uses to blackmail their child into committing to their parent's plan. Even if the child does not want to.

"People can say whatever they like I choose my happiness this time."

Saffa put her hand on mine, trying to ease my anger down.

"He is here," Mehreen announced.

My dad came out of his room to open the door.

"Salam, is this where Zulekha lives?"

"Walikum Assalam. Yes, come in."
Dad opened the door wide as Yusuf walked in.

"Zulekha is in the living room. You may go in. Do take off your shoes before entering."

I was stunned at how calm my dad was handling the situation. What was he trying to do? Was his friendly behavior part of a plan my brother and he put together?

There was dead silence as Yusuf walked past us and took a seat. Dad followed from behind.

"Assalam Alikum," Yusuf mumbled, looking at my mom, and waiting for her to reply.

Mom let out a sad sigh, "Walikum Assalam."

"So Zulekha has told us she has a liking for you, and you feel the same way?" Dad asked as he took a seat in the armchair.

That was straight to the point dad

"Yeah...um, we have been friends for about a year now and want to take the next step."

"Next step as in?" Dad asked, folding his hands, trying to maintain his temper.

"Date?" Yusuf uttered

"And if we feel we are compatible with each other, I would like to marry her, sir...That is with your blessings."

Dad let out a sigh

"And what about your past? Your beliefs? Don't you think that will be a problem in your relationship?"

"What happened in the past was a mistake. I was a teenager with bottled-up emotions. I did face the consequences. As for my beliefs, I pray to the same God as you. Yes, there are a few differences, but nothing Zulekha and I can not come to terms with. You can have Zulekha marry someone of your choice, but will she be happy?."