Chapter 5 - The Aqiqah

"The colors of the balloon arch garland are wrong. We ordered pink and burgundy, not pink and gold!" My mom screamed through the phone to the event decorator. At the same time, she was turning on the LED light lanterns on the tables. She hadn't slept for the past week living on caffeine and Tylenol. She paced back and forth in the masjid hall, inspecting all the decorations.

We had only a few hours left until the guest came in, and so much work was yet to be done. Sumaiya and my dad had still not returned from the bakery with the cake. Pretty sure they were eating a few slices right in the bakery. Mehreen had caught a cold and was not able to help much while taking care of the baby.

I skimmed through my Biology notes, processing as much information as possible for the next week's quiz.

"Zulekha, the decorator, told me she is sending someone in fifteen minutes to fix the garland. I have to go home and get ready. Call me if you need anything." Mom grabbed the car keys and phone from the table and rushed out.

I slammed the textbook shut in frustration soon as she left. I barely passed on the last quiz and hated the thought of getting less than an eighty on the next one. I browsed across the room to look for an effortless task to complete.

                                                                                                ***

While setting up the party favor trays, I heard two men bickering as they walked down the masjid staircase holding large cardboard boxes filled with balloons. I looked up at the guy in the grey sweatshirt in confusion.

It can't be him? Maybe college stress is making me imagine things.

"Zulekhaaaaaa! Yusuf's voice boomed, making everyone in the hall turn and stare at us. Good to see you. How are you?" Yusuf eagerly dropped the box on the floor and proceeded to walk towards me.

"Asalamalikum Yusuf. I am good. Nice seeing you here too. How are you?"

Was he stalking me?! Is he like Joe from YOU?

"Walikum Assalam. I am doing pretty well. My aunt is an event decorator, and one of her irritating clients called her complaining about changing the color of the balloon garland, so that's why I am here. Are you organizing this event also?"

BOY, I WILL PUNCH YOU!

"That client you are calling irritating is my mom Yusuf! Your aunt messed up the order

"That client you are calling irritating is my mom Yusuf! Your aunt messed up the order. It's not our fault."

I was livid at what Yusuf had just said. He stood there dumbfounded and regretful.

"Ya Allah..um..I...I didn't know she was your mom. Sorry"

The other man holding the box steadily walked up to me from behind Yusuf.

"Ahh so you are Zulekha. It's nice to meet you finally. Yusuf has told me about you. I am his uncle Jawad by the way." He stuck out one of his hands while holding the cardboard box in the other for a handshake.