Chapter 8 - The Secrets

"You ok mera bacha (my child)?" Mom, concerned, looked around at my messy room as I snuggled in my blanket, unwilling to get out of bed for the past three days.

"Did something happen at the fundraiser? you haven't spoken to anyone since you got home from that day?" Mom said, sitting down on the bed beside me as she ran her fingers through my hair.

I wanted to tell her about what had happened at the fundraiser, but part of me was scared of the outcome. She wouldn't be happy about Yusuf and me being in a relationship after she and dad had objected.

"Nothing. I just found out a friend of mine had been lying to me."

Mom reached over to hold my hand as I kept in a cry.

"Oh no. did you ask your friend why they lied? maybe there was a reason."

"No, I was too upset."

"Well, you should. It's better to talk it out rather than lose a friend because of a misunderstanding."

Mom got up to leave my room, almost stumbling over my textbooks.

Now I want you to shower, and I will get lunch ready. You smell like sweat. And please clean your room."

My mom was right. I had to ask Yusuf why he had lied to me. I messaged him to meet me an hour before Turkish class.

                                                                                          ***

You know that your mom will be really upset when she finds out what's going on.

This was Farha's fifth text since morning. I haven't replied to her since I told her about what happened at the fair. She blamed me for being so gullible in the first place. I hated to accept it but she was right. I switched my phone to silent avoiding getting into an argument with her. 

I saw Yusuf sitting on a bench, waiting patiently with a gift bag and shaking his leg in anxiety.

I walked up to him, trying to stay calm and not create a scene.

"Hi, thanks for meeting me."

"No, it's not a problem. I got this for you at the fundraiser event the other day but didn't have time to give it to you."

Yusuf looked more miserable than I have ever seen him. 

 "I am sorry. I was going to tell you everything once our relationship was serious. I mean if  our relationship got serious."

"A gift isn't going make up for what you did. Not telling me the truth was still lying, Yusuf! You made me feel like an idiot the other day in front of Alaya."

Yusuf had started to turn red. He irately got up from the bench.

 He irately got up from the bench