Chapter 6- The Hug

I saw Yusuf in front of the Liberal Arts building near a parking lot, talking to a friend. Holding a coffee cup in one hand and a burning cigarette in the other as a tobacco-free safety sign stood a few feet away.

I was not too fond of this type of nuisance behavior but chuckled at the irony of the situation.

I slink past with my head down so he wouldn't notice.

"Walk fast and don't make a sound." I whispered, taking long slow steps.

 He saw me but deliberately ignored my existence and continued the conversation with his buddy

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

He saw me but deliberately ignored my existence and continued the conversation with his buddy. They were discussing their math test scores, I assume. 

I couldn't help but raise my head slightly to get a glimpse of him. He looked angry but was masking a smile, looking at his mate.

I don't know why I was offended; I didn't want him to notice me anyways after the whole embarrassing situation I threw us both in last night.

I sighed. I knew Yusuf would be upset, but not to this extent. He didn't even want to look at my face.

"You look like you didn't get any sleep last night," Matt said as I arrived at class and took a seat behind him. He leaned back in his chair, observing me with an edgy look.

"Yeah, had a family gathering, and all the guests left late." This was the best lie I could think of to tell Matt. But, in reality, I couldn't sleep because I was overthinking what a mess my life had become.

After the party, my mom came into my room to discuss dating and question if Yusuf was my boyfriend. It was a typical Indian mom thing to do. My mom's query broke my heart. It made me feel like my parents didn't have trust in me. I informed my mom that Yusuf was just a friend, and even if I did, later on, start having feelings for Yusuf, I would let my parents know.

Upon hearing this, my mom's exact words were:

"Feelings for a Shia?.. Your dad will lose his mind Zulekha. So first finish your degree because that is why you are going to college. And if you like a Sunni guy, later on, you have our blessing."

Yusuf is Muslim! Just different sect, mom.

I didn't dare to say it out loud. One does not talk back to their parents in an Asian household. One does not want to die. Especially when slipper throwing is a sport immigrant mothers are good at.

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
The guy in Turkish 101जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें