i. THE BEFORE

JULY 12th, 1978

The L/N's were a respectable family once upon a time. The three of them lived like a happy trio in Sunnyvale, almost oblivious to the hardships of the town directly next door.

Literally.

The L/N's home was only half a block away from the Shadyside border, and the town's hazy sky could be felt from their estate.

And, if you believed the rumors, that's why Mr. L/N packed up and left one morning, and moved away.

It's also why he was found dead in an apartment in Shadyside the following week.

They say the Shadyside curse got him too.

That was three months ago.

So in order to get away from the town, Mrs. L/N had the brilliant idea to send her daughter, Y/N, to a summer camp. Camp Nightwing, to be exact.

Y/N thought it was a shitty idea. Her father just died and her mother was sending her away? A load of bullshit if you ask her.

But she couldn't push it off any longer, and that's how she found herself hauling her suitcase into the back of the car, and her mother kissing the top of her head in reassurance as they began what will be the excruciating thirty minute drive to the camp sitting almost directly between the towns, just passed the Shadyside border.

The two rode in sickening silence as Y/N rested her head on the window, a put of fear bubbling in her stomach.

"Hey," Her mother said, a small smile on her face as she glance between her daughter and the road. "This is gonna be a good opportunity for you to make some friends, aren't you excited?" She tried to engage the still silent girl.

Y/N didn't take her eyes off the window as she replied, "Yup, it's gonna be the best summer ever." she said with sarcasm lacing her voice.

She was actually thinking of ways to get away from Shelia and her crew, not wanting to be constantly avoiding their claws the whole month.

"Come on, lighten up," her mother cooed, nudging Y/N's shoulder playfully, "It's a way for you to relax, have some fun, to not be worrying about me."

Y/N rolls her eyes, "Just because I won't be home doesn't mean I'm not going to worry about you." She mutters.

The older woman sighs and turns her full attention back to the road, the crease between her brows deepening with the worry she realizes she will be having for her daughter.

Mrs. L/N takes another glance towards Y/N and exhales through her nose, knowing Y/N will continue to be stubborn the whole ride, so it was best not to push.

Ten minutes later, they arrive at Camp Nightwing, the large camp sign hanging overhead as cars parked basically anywhere they could find on the outskirts of the camp, tons of kids with a varying age range run around excitedly, chatting with their friends.

Y/N rolled her suitcase behind her, rubbing her arm tiredly as she walks through the camp to the desk set up with the councilors surrounding it, checking in kids and pointing them to their cabins.

She looks wearily around the camp and she can already feel pairs of eyes on her, and she spots Sheila and her goons whispers to themselves while glancing at Y/N. She rolled her eyes and came to the desk, a preppy looking girl with perfect curls and a polo shirt smiled up at her.

"Name?" The girl asked.

"Y/N L/N." She answered, shifting her weight on her feet.

The counselor's eyes read over the list before she stops at her name, looking back up with a smile, "You'll be in cabin five!" She turns to Y/N's mother, "You can help her get settled and then we're asking all parents to exit as soon as possible so we can get camp started."

Mrs. L/N nods and they turn to walk towards the cabin, but not before Y/N locks eyes with someone who she tries to avoid, Nick Goode.

As he sends a shy smile her way, she turns and hurries her mother towards her cabin, thanking any higher power that might've been watching her that it was in the opposite direction of Nick.

Opening the door to the cabin, she exhaled thankfully to see that it's currently empty and goes over to a bed on the left, dropping her stuff down on the side.

Her mother helps her get her bedding out and together they assemble the bed in silence.

After putting the last pillow on, Y/N zips up the suitcase and pushes it against the wall so that it's out of the way.

Dusting her hands on her shorts, Y/N turns to her mother who is looking at her with a teary-eyed look that makes Y/N crack, coming over to wrap her arms around her mother.

Mrs. L/N sighs with gratitude, squeezing her daughter. "I'll be fine, mom." Y/N mumbles as she feels her mother shake slightly. "It's only a month. I'll be back before you know it." She consoles, pulling away as her mother pressed a kiss to the crown of her head.

"I know. But I'll miss you, Y/N." She nods, Y/N nodding and tucking her hands into her pockets.

"I'll miss you too." She says quietly. She shakes her head slightly, smiling to her mother. "Now you better go, I probably should be going as well."

Mrs. L/N nods and with one last look towards her daughter, she grabs her things and makes her way to the door, and to her car.

Y/N exhales slowly, sitting down on her bed, she puts her head in her hands and rubs her temples, closing her eyes and embracing this moment of peace.

Then she hears some kids screaming from outside and groans.

This is going to be a long summer.