【45】Wildlife

Finally realizing that Lex hadn't quite healed had changed my perception of things

Finally realizing that Lex hadn't quite healed had changed my perception of things. I might be a horny potato in need of dick, but he was a wounded man in need of time.

One of our questions during the game had been about the worst non-physical pain we'd ever experienced. And his answer had been about me getting shot, about watching me bleed out unconscious, about having a piece of his soul ripped out of his body as he'd thought I might not survive. I should have taken it more seriously. He'd expressed his pain and fears, his deepest psychological scar. If this had been the most excruciating pain he'd endured that wasn't physical, it made sense that it would take some time to heal, like a massive flesh wound.

He was usually so controlled and mighty, I sometimes forgot he could still know pain and sorrow. Of course, because he didn't always show what was going on within him didn't mean he felt nothing. I knew that. But I was now aware of just how deeply he hurt.

Two days after our little game, we were graced with amazing weather, warm and sunny like the middle of summer. We both agreed that we'd been cooped inside for too long, so we decided to give hiking a shot. Thanks to the Crawfords' suggestions, we knew exactly which trail would be more suited for us. It was short and easy enough so I wouldn't overwork myself. Between the operation and all the rest I'd been having lately, I doubted that I'd be able to last for more than the five miles we had in mind.

So, armed with the best shoes I could find – my Doc Martens – a bottle of water, and a snack – and actual one, not just Lex – I exited the house. He followed right behind me and locked the door. He wasn't well-equipped for it either, wearing running sneakers, jeans, and a knitted sweater. I had picked a pair of warm leggings and had stolen a hoodie of his.

We'd decided we'd go to town the next day to buy better shoes and clothing. No way we'd sprain an ankle and be confined inside when we had all this nature to explore. We would also use that opportunity to buy more stuff in general, as we only had with us what fitted in our suitcases. We didn't need a full wardrobe, but at least a little more than two weeks' worth of clothes.

"Ready to go?" I asked with enthusiasm when he came toward me.

"All good, yes. Do you want me to carry your bag?"

"Nah, I'm good. Lead the way."

This was one of the two trails accessible by foot. For the rest of them, we'd need to take the car and drive for at least ten minutes. With the amazing scenery surrounding us, I really wouldn't mind the road.

First, we walked along the private driveway of the house back to the main road, and then we followed it for five minutes before reaching the information panel Glenn had mentioned. We took a moment to read it, and I snapped a picture of the map, just in case Lex hadn't memorized it fully.

"Okay, so we're doing this small one today, and that one's the big one?" I asked, following the red and blue lines with my index.

"Yeah, both trails begin the same way, but we're turning here and coming back that way. We'll see if we can do the fifteen miles one another time."