【79】Full Circle

As tempting as it was to stay in bed and let our desires loose until they consumed us entirely, I decided we'd been locked in for long enough

As tempting as it was to stay in bed and let our desires loose until they consumed us entirely, I decided we'd been locked in for long enough. It was time to go out and enjoy some of that freedom we'd fought so hard for.

So, after we'd showered, gotten dressed, and checked the news as we ate something, we headed out. The day was sunny and warm, so I suggested we left the car behind and walked, which Lex instantly agreed to. Hand in hand, we set course to our destination, feeling safe and free. The grin on my face wouldn't go away, and I didn't even try to quench it. My enjoyment of something as trivial as being able to walk outside without feeling in danger was too great.

After all this time, we were living again, not just surviving. No one was looking for us. No one would come for us. And no one would tear us apart.

Thanks to Agent Lewis' subtle commentary, Becker was probably certain that the person who'd tipped the authorities was one of the members of his killing club. The message Lex and I had come up with, the one we'd sent with the anonymous tip, was too ominous to misinterpret.

I can't keep this quiet any longer. I need to repent for the sake of my eternal soul. May God forgive me for what I've done.

That clearly put the suspicions on one of the perpetrators, and because Lewis had shared it, we were safe. Becker now had preoccupations much greater than a hacker who'd stolen a small portion of his money. The fact that no one was coming forward to claim the unveiling of such a huge case played in our favor, too. Someone as public and prideful as Nammota would normally have called it as theirs if they'd done it. The renowned hacker wasn't one to beat around the bush, and Becker knew about it.

We were completely, utterly, and absolutely free.

From the apartment, it took us forty-seven minutes to walk to our destination. When we reached it, I halted my steps, taking a moment to prepare myself. As I gazed up at the tall building, I was thrown back to the very first time I'd seen it, to the day everything had changed. Getting a job at Kelex had brought both the best and the worst moments of my life. But regardless of all the shit I'd had to claw my way out of, I would never, ever, regret meeting the man standing by my side.

Flooded with nostalgic feelings, I gazed up at him, looking all dapper in his dark blue jeans, black T-shirt, and anthracite jacket. "Are you ready to go in?" he asked, looking down at me and pressing an encouraging hand on my lower back. I nodded, but before he turned his attention away from me, I extended my neck to demand a kiss. He indulged, and with his hand still behind me, we entered the building that was so familiar to us, yet estranged.

Given the hour, we'd arrived right when people were coming back from their lunch. The hall was busy, slightly crowded, and I took Lex's hand in mine, hoping the sensory overload wasn't too hard on him. We waited among the other suited up people for the elevator, and when it arrived, we entered it with the flow.

It seemed things never really changed, and the angry mob hadn't learned about manners during our months away. Lex and I were pushed like cattle into the small space, and he ended up forced between me and the stainless steel panel in the back.