2.2

✰

Tango knew something was wrong. There were people all around the house, people talking and the smell of fear was strong in the air. Fear for the young girl who hadn't come. Charlie was especially worried, there was no room for the dog to be playful.

Bella was missing. That's all that ran through Charlie's brain, panic seeped from every pore as scenarios ran through his mind. The man was losing his patience, soon enough there would be none left and he would track his daughter with Tango, he'd already grabbed her pillowcase from upstairs.

Charlie was still in uniform (as was Tango) and looked over the maps and computers spread out on the bonnet of the police cruiser. Harry Clearwater was on his right with Jacob and Billy Black on his left, all equally worried for Bella, there was chattering over the police radio. As the chief of police he had many resources and when his daughter went missing he would spare none.

"I'm gonna try the Cullens' place again." The worried father typed in the phone number and it rung for a beat before Billy spoke.

Billy looked up at his friend, "The Cullens left town, Charlie." Of course he knew that because of the treaty, the leader of the coven had gone and spoken to the tribe on the border. He said they were leaving and wouldn't return in their lifetime, it came as a relief but the pack was always weary.

Harry Clearwater scoffed, "Good riddance."

"Where'd they go?" The chief asked, baffled by the news.

Harry didn't respond to the question, "We'll find her, Charlie."

"Thanks, Harry." Charlie grabbed the pillow case and knelt down to Tango who was sat obediently at his feet. "But I'm not waiting any longer." Holding out the pillowcase to Tango he said, "Find." The dog immediately recognised the command and shoved her nose into the piece of cloth. Vanilla shampoo, old books... Bella! Tango knew that smell! She had to find Bella.

Tango breathed the scent in strongly, she began sniffing the ground and people cleared out the way when she passed them. Charlie held her lead tightly and Tango's head snapped to the side barking, "She's got the scent, let's go!" Charlie called to his deputy's and friends. Tango kept her nose on the ground following Bella's smell, the scent mixed slightly with the corpse smell that she'd grown used to which only meant one thing: Edward.

The trained dog pulled on the lead strongly fearing that Bella was in danger. They made it halfway to the tree line but then Sam came into view, cradling Bella in his arms. Tango let out a few barks as she and Charlie raced over to Sam.

Sam said loudly so everyone could hear, handing her over to Charlie. "She's all right."

"I got her." Charlie dropped Tango's lead but it wasn't like she needed it anyway, it was more so that when tracking the dog didn't immediately run off to find the object of desire, so Charlie could keep up. "Thank you, Sam." The chief had never been more thankful as he gratefully looked at Sam.

Charlie hurried off to get his freezing daughter inside. Sam picked up Tango's lead preventing her from following and although the dog was worried about Bella she didn't mind, Sam smelled great and when they went to the reservation he often took her on walks.