2.5

✰

It was wolves attacking people in the forests, at least that's what Bella had told Charlie. She'd been out in the woods for some unknown reason then just burst into the house saying it was wolves.

Work had not been easy for Tango since. They spent a lot of time in the woods, mostly led by Tango trying to get a scent each time but it was hard when she didn't know what smell to look for. One time, Tango led the group to a herd of deer. The dog had been proud of herself with a wagging tail but the men had seemed disappointed when they just found deer.

The thing about German Shepherds was that they're incredibly smart, hence why they were so good at being service dogs, they were quick learners. Tango had quickly learnt what to search for, blood. Even if they spent long hours in the woods, there had only been a few hunting trips in total and the police were no closer to catching the wolves.

It was a rare day off for Charlie and Tango, the dog chased with a ball around the house whilst Charlie sipped his beer watching whatever sport was on.

The girl told her father where she was going and he insisted that she take Tango with her, need a walk and all that. Charlie also was finding the sport very interesting, not feeling keen to go outside currently.

Bella knocked a few times on the door to the Black residence once they'd pulled up, she'd remembered to keep the door open long enough for Tango to get out.

Billy wheeled himself to the door, opening it and not being that surprised, "Bella?"

"I need to see him," no greeting only straight to the point, Tango stepped in front of Bella and sniffed Billy's legs. The man rested a hand on the dog's head but didn't break his stare from his friends daughter.

"He's not in," Jacob was in but there was no reason for Bella to need to know that.

"Okay, I'm sorry," Bella sidestepped the wheelchair and invited herself into the house, "I really need to see him." The girl walked herself further into the house yet Tango remained. not feeling the need to follow Bella at this moment.

"Bella!" Billy called wheeling himself around, Tango picked up her paws and stepped out of the house not wanting to get run over by those wheels. It had happened before and it wasn't fun.

It was less than thirty seconds later when Bella came storming out the house radiating with anger. Tango quickly followed now worried and focused on the situation, she couldn't remember Bella ever getting this angry before. Besides, Tango knew her human wasn't the most coordinated so she had to protect, naturally she was very loyal to her family.

"What did you do?" Bella yelled storming towards the four shirtless boys, Tango trotted at her side, mouth slightly open panting. "Okay, what did you do? Hey." The human slammed her hands in Sam's chest only knocking him back about an inch, "What did you do to him?"

"Easy!" Sam commanded the boys who started to growl with anger at their alpha being accused and attacked. Tango barked in warning at the boys who gave her a very aggressive vibe, the dog bounced on her paws ready to chomp down on their arms.

Bella continued to yell, glaring up at the taller people, "He didn't want this!"

"What did we do? What did he do? What'd he tell you?" Paul asked now shaking with anger.

Tango knew these boys, liked these humans but didn't do well when her family was being threatened.

"Both of you calm down," Sam tried to push them apart yet Bella was having none of it.

"Nothing!" Tango barked again, teeth now dripping with saliva. Bella stared Paul straight on, "He tells me nothing because he's scared of you."

They all started snickering at her words, the girl shook her head disgusted at their behaviour, not wasting a moment before smacking Paul straight in the face. His head snapped to the side not having seen this scene go physical and it became increasing hard to control his anger.

"Too late now," Jared's voice was amused watching the scene unfold. The only thing not amusing in this situation was the police dog ready to murder them all for even yelling at Bella, they couldn't kill the chiefs dog.

Sam waved an arm for the girl to leave, "Bella, get back! Paul, calm down, now!"

Paul's shoulders seemed to bunch as he breathed heavily. One moment he was standing and the next he was hunched over rippling into a huge silver wolf, Bella stumbled back and Tango stood in front of her growling and barking back at Paul. It was almost comical to see a German Shepherd stand up to a wolf at least five times its size, Tango knew in a fight she wouldn't win but she stood in front of Bella none the less.

Bella, who was absolutely gobsmacked, turned and ran which seemed like the wisest thing to do. Tango barked a few more times for good measure but followed behind her human, staying between Bella and the heaving silver wolf as a form of protection, although it wasn't like she could do much in a fight with this guy. One bite and she's done for.

"Bella!" Jacob had woken up to all the barking going on outside, imagine his panic when he saw Bella standing across from Paul in wolf form with only a police dog between them.

"Run! Jake, run!" But Jacob didn't listen to her frantic yelling, instead sprinting straight towards her. In one leap he had jumped over Bella and Tango, shifting midair into a huge russet brown wolf.

He stood in front of Bella and Tango, digging his paws into the dirt he roared at Paul. Bella had fallen over so Tango whined and tried to get her to stand up, in Tango's mind it was the perfect time to leave.

The two wolves growled at each other and the fight started. They crashed like boulders in the middle whilst the boys just watched, Bella continued to sit on the ground ad Tango knew then that her human was useless. Completely fucking useless in this moment. So the dog being protective did the only thing she knew, stood in front of Bella protectively.

The two shifters rolled in the dirt, ended up knocking into a boat and smashing it as they rolled into the woods.

"Hey!" Sam commanded Jared and Embry's attention, looking at them briefly, "Take Bella back to Emily's place." The alpha jogged off to the woods, following the track of destruction to his pack mates.

Embry smirked jogging over with Jared following, "Guess the wolf's out of the bag."

Tango visibly relaxed once the two fighting wolves had gone as she stepped off Bella's legs and sat down on her bum. The dog was panting from all the adrenaline and had a speedy heart rate which both shifters could hear. Embry clicked his tongue and kneeled down showing he meant no harm prompting Jared to do the same, after many sniffs the dog calmed and followed to the truck.

Tango was picked up by Jared who didn't mind the dog's weight at all and placed into the back of the truck where he then hopped up. Embry helped Bella who still seemed to be in a state of shock into the passenger side and he drove them to Emily's.

They spent some time with Emily (who absolutely adored Tango) who chided the boys for scaring the dog whilst cuddling her. The shifters defended themselves saying that it was Tango who was the aggressive one but Emily ignored them, scratching her face. The dog was incredibly smug.

After that they went on a walk with Jacob to the beach, Tango went straight to swimming and returned with a big piece of drift wood in her mouth. The dog wouldn't drop it even when Bella said to and brought it in the truck on the way home.

When they did return home Bella chatted with Jacob outside and whilst Tango just ran through the dog flap to see her favourite person in the world laying on the couch. Charlie cursed at the fact the dog was not only covered in salt and sand, still slightly damp, and that she'd felt the need to bring him a piece of wood. Tango dropped it on his lap as a present and he pretended to be thankful before throwing it in the backyard. Tango knew Charlie liked his present though, he smelt happy.