he always wins

The waves crashed, the dull blue rippling against itself, reflecting the sadness of the sky.

I sat on a cliff, my legs hanging off the edge, very risky but I didn't care.

I wasn't sad, just in this weird feeling of awe, I was observing the clouds, they were so beautiful. How could anything be so beautiful?

I wanted the waves to take me in with them, deep into the blue filled water.

I wished my lungs weren't so weak, that they weren't so human. That they didn't need air, so I could stay underwater forever, letting the water soothe me and come out when I'm ready to face the world.

So I could experience that peace that came with being underwater, peace. 

Sadly I could only experience that for the mere 2 minutes, that was never enough. 

The wind blew against my skin, and goose bumps appeared coating my arms and telling me to get inside, I turned my head to look at the mansion that was a few acres away.

I shivered in the cold and stood up taking a few steps back so I wouldn't trip into the ocean, Tom and I lived in that dark house. It was quite lovely, I always wanted a house right by the ocean. 

So we bought it. 

I look down at the sliver ring on my ring finger, I smile at it, the small diamonds sparkling even when the sun wasn't shining. 

I feel a drop of rain land on my hand and I look up at the sky, I breath in the humid air and start walking towards the house. 

I wonder if Tom's home yet, he works at the ministry now, the minister is completely charmed by him, Tom always had a specialty for manipulating people. 

I would love to think that he never used it on me, but then I would be lying to myself. 

I applied to work at a muggle bookstore nearby our house a few days ago, I'm still waiting to see if they'll hire me, it took a lot of convincing for Tom to even let me apply. 

He says he doesn't want me near them, I said he was overreacting and crazy. 

We made up after that argument but something seems off, my gut tells me he's going to try something, and I have no idea what it is. 

I make it the driveway gate and push it open and close it behind me, I see the car in the driveway and I know he's home. 

I rush inside in excitement, once I make it in I shut the door, and peel my dirty converse off and rub my hands on my striped flannel. 

I head towards the living area, and I see Tom sitting on a couch flipping through work papers. 

"Hi," I breath in. 

He looks up, his lips tug up. "Hey gorgeous, where were you?" 

"Just by the ocean." 

He nods and goes back to reading through his papers, I sigh and go to the kitchen to find my phone and check in with the bookstore. 

I find it sitting on the large marble counter, I pick it up and find multiple message notifications. 

One is from an old school friend checking up on me, and one from the bookstore manager. 

I bite my lip in excitement, and open the messages. 

Bookstore Manager, Lucinda: Hey, this man came to the store earlier today and asked to speak with me, he tried bribing me to not hire you. I just wanted you to know just in case. 

I stare at the message in disbelief, who was this man?

I text back quickly. 

Me: Oh, do you happen to know his name?

She responds immediately. 

Lucinda: It was something like Tobias? Hmm..

Lucinda: Oh! It was Tom! Do you know him? 

I stand there shocked, why would he do that? He did forgive me quite quickly when I came back from the bookstore, but bribing the manager...

Me: Did you accept the money? 

Lucinda: Um yes, I'm sorry. 

I sigh, they're all the same, money hungry. 

Me: Its fine, thanks for telling me, Bye. 

I turn off my phone and throw it back at the counter, I rub my head in frustration. 

He would seriously go as far as to bribing her to keep me here. 

I storm back into the living room, and now the papers are scattered across the coffee table, and Tom is busy writing notes down. 

I cross my arms, "Have anything to tell me?" 

He looks up, one eyebrow up. "What are you talking about?" 

I can't keep it bottled up anymore. 

"You bribed her!" my voice raises. 

He clenches his jaw and looks down, he knows he's been caught. 

"I didn't think she'd tell you." he says under his breath.

I scoff out a laugh in disbelief, "So you'd rather it a secret and just let me think its my own fault that I didn't get hired?" I run my hands through my hair. 

"What other secrets are you hiding from me?" I accuse. 

"None, love, its better for you to not go working with muggles, its safer." 

"Safer from what, I can protect myself and besides its not like people go out robbing bookstores." 

He stands, and walks over to me, he takes my face gently with one hand. 

I shiver as the coldness of his hand caress my cheeks. 

"You know I love you right?" he whispers. 

"I know, and I love you too but-"

"Just trust me, besides I can get you a job in diagon alley, I'm sure there are plenty bookstores there. "He tries persuading me.

I sigh and say nothing. 

"Aw come on, don't go quiet on me darling," he lifts my chin so I meet his eyes. 

"Fine." I give up arguing, he always wins. 

He smiles in victory, he presses soft kisses against my jaw.

"Now how about we make something for dinner?" he whispers against my skin. 

I nod, and he places a soft kiss against my lips before we both walk to the kitchen. 

--

"He has a winning smile. He wins, he always wins." 

- Charles Baxter 

- This is a little imagine about how I imagine small arguments would go, and how he would be controlling.