Chapter Three

Song: Singing with the Wolves - Anica 

A/n: I decided when I started writing this story I wanted to have a wolf-themed song for each chapter. To my findings, there are not that many. (-_-;)・・・ANYWHO. Please enjoy Chapter Three.

*Caution mentions of sexual abuse*

Mel's POV

I stand to the side of the Alpha as he watches Aremus walk up the stairs. I still have my head bowed and hands behind my back, waiting for instruction from my mate.

"There's the hospitality." He chuckles. I figured I should act with caution since I have no idea who this man is other than the fact that he is my mate. At least, I think he is.

It is hard to tell because I only saw his wolf. My senses are not great, and my wolf is weak. I don't want to push it and hurt myself.

"You can relax pup, I won't let him or anyone hurt you anymore." He reaches out and rubs my shoulder. I wince.

"M-my name is M-mel." He gently lifts my chin so that I can see his face. He has brown eyes now instead of blue, but his hair matches his wolf.

"Mel, would you like to go shower and get into new clothes?" I nod at my mate, causing him to smile.

"Mel! Don't leave!" One of the pups from the cell calls to me, interrupting my moment with my mate. I look down at him with sorrowful eyes.

"We will be back, and all of you will be free from this cell. As your new Alpha, you will be safe soon. I promise you." My mate assures my fellow omegas. I admire my mate for his empathy and compassion.

The cell erupts with 'Thank you, Alphas' and happy cries.

I was nervous. It was the first time in eighteen years I would be going outside. I held my mate's hand as we walked to the guest house. I looked around and took in all of the smells I could. Pine, lilac, wet dew on the grass, honey. Honey. That was a familiar scent. I glanced at my mate and then at the trees. The trees were taller than I remembered; they towered over us as we approached the door. It was just as large as the main packhouse. My mate took me to a spacious room with a king-sized bed. I settled into the bed with my guard up. We have to stay here until he can reach an agreement with Aremus.

"It's alright, little one. I know you're scared, but I'm here." He sits on the bed with me.

"I know you're my mate, but this feels like a cruel joke Aremus would play on me," I pause, letting my hand lay on top of his. "and I still don't know your name."

"Samuel, but please call me Sam." Sam holds my hand, and I melt.

"I-I don't know if this is inappropriate because we just met but could you help me bathe Sam? I'm weak." I couldn't help but feel comfortable with Sam already. His touch is so soft and gentle. I feel safe for once in my life.

Sam led me to the ensuite and sat me on the edge of the tub while it filled up. The steam rolled off of the water, hitting my face. I breathed in, relaxing.

"Alright, Mel hands up." I obediently raise my arms for Sam to help me undress. I saw Sam's eyes flash when he noticed the scars and bruises. Sam gave me a towel to cover myself so that I could pull my pants off. I let the towel drop and quickly stepped into the warm bath. I grabbed a washcloth to cover myself once more. My cheeks flushed pink. No one has seen me naked besides... Aremus. I shudder remembering the other night.

"What a good boy you are." Aremus slid his fingertips down my face. I turned away out of disgust. "Come on, Melody. You were being so good now you ruined it." Aremus' hands clamped around the back of my neck, forcing my head down on-

I closed my eyes real tight, trying to rid the memory from my brain.

Sam's POV

As soon as his shirt came off, I could see the marks and bruises all over him. It pained me to see them. I watched him hide himself while stepping into the bath. It confused me why I wouldn't have sensed his pain when he was receiving these marks. Unless these are old marks... or I just wasn't close enough when these happened... Before mating, the closer you are to your mate, the more you feel what they feel. After mating, no matter where your mate is, you will feel everything they're feeling.

"Sam? Are you okay?" Mel's small voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"No, I'm just upset with myself that I didn't find you sooner, pup." I rubbed his back with some soap.

"It's okay Sam, I'm with you now." He smiles at me.

"He's so cute!" My wolf is already attached to him.

I finish cleaning Mel and get him into some comfy sweats and a hoodie. He plops onto the bed sitting there like he's waiting for instructions from me.

"Mel? I don't want to- I don't want to pry, but... Why do you have-"I pointed to his neck. Mel was frozen with fear.

"I-" A few tears began to fall.

"Oh no, no, no baby!" I rush to kneel in front of him. "You don't have to tell me anything you don't want to. I just- I just want to protect you, and if there's something I can do to help, I want to know." I wiped some stray tears from his face. He sniffled and took a deep breath.

"They're from Aremus." He squeaked. I start to feel my wolf rise from the anger.

"Why would he beat you?" I clench my fists.

"They're not from beatings." Mel hangs his head low, becoming quiet. "He's quite rough." He says, rubbing the side of his neck. My wolf growls.

He let out a sad chuckle. "At least he let me get fixed. That's probably the only kind thing he has done, but it was for his benefit." He faded out.

"Aremus raped you?" I whispered, my nails digging into my palms. "an-and you can't have pups?" I start to shake with anger.

"Yes."