044

august 22nd, 2024
11:20 am

ALL HELL WAS BREAKING LOOSE INSIDE OF his mind

And this day was going to get even worse and crazier before it got better.

Joshua was visibly panicked at the last set of words he had heard, so panicked in fact, that his natural response was just to stand still in alarm.

"Grab the go bag by the door." Ayoluwa called to him from the bed, "And come help me up."

Joshua could only blink at her until the sensation of something soft and plushy hitting the side of his face.

Ayoluwa had tossed a stuffed animal his way and when Joshua looked at her, she held a patient expression.

"Hey. Everything is gonna be fine. I need you right now. You cannot shut down right now, okay? You can't. I need you to get me to the hospital and advocate for me because-." Her face screwed up in pain and that was enough for Joshua to jump into action.

After helping Ayoluwa out of bed and into a sweatsuit, Joshua grabbed the computer bag that Ayoluwa had fashioned into a 'go' bag for her delivery.

Once the couple were in the car that Joshua had bought recently, he stepped on the gas, trying to desperately to get to the closest hospital.

"Ugh! Fuck, fuck, fuck!" Ayoluwa groaned from the passenger seat next to him.

"We're almost there," Joshua lied.

In truth the closest hospital in Brooklyn was still at least a half hour away because of the traffic but he figured that telling her that would only add to the stress.

"This is wrong. This is all wrong! My grandma and my sister, they were supposed to be here! Fuck, this hurts so bad." Ayoluwa's eyes started to visibly tear up.

"Do you want me to call them?" Joshua asked with a glance in her direction.

"No. No, no, no. Just get me to the hospital!" Ayoluwa moaned in pain as Joshua maneuvered the steering wheel so that they can turn to the right.

The contractions had gone from a minute to up to every fifteen seconds and this traffic was not letting up.

Joshua let out an aggravated groan at the sight of a line of at least seven cars in front of him and slapped the top of the steering wheel, "Shit!"

Ayoluwa stared through the windshield, "Shit is right. I feel him."

"What do you mean?" Joshua asked.