Chapter 7

Dedicated to shamyliciouss
Credit to her for this phenomenal piece of art. Thank you!

~

The winds of the dawning sun slowly caressed them both, it brought her chills as she laid there covered in the sheets. The sound of the hooves clucking and wheels turning filled her ears. The sound of chatter filled the air with every second passing. Bickering and banter at every corner, shouts of sales and advertisement could be heard from all over. 

Hinata finally finding the strength, peeked through the cover of the carriage and was stunned, for a second she thought she was home. She could see merchants and people buying all sorts of things from foods to goods. She could see kids running around with their pets, people bartering, and chanting tunes. It almost looked like home, but it wasn't. 

"You're awake?" Naruto said, he turned and looked at the rather exhausted girl and just flashed her a grin, "Come up."

Hinata just stared at the space next to the blonde, for a second she had been processing what was happening, his whole aura changed, she was just remembering the events of what had transpired just hours ago, Hinata could remember just how cold Naruto was, but the Naruto of now was just different, almost as if it were two different people.

"That's fine then, you can stay down there if you like," he pulled the covers over her head making her yelp in surprise by his actions. Naruto chuckled to himself as the covers were now fully taken off by Hinata.

The scene was quite funny, the bystanders all looked at the now fuming girl who was just glaring at the back of the blonde. She quickly noticed just how many people were staring, so she stood there frozen stiff.

"You look like a tomato Hinata, just come here," Hinata yelped again and placed her palms on her face, just as she suspected, her cheeks were flaming at the touch. 

"I'm n-not! Ugh!" She protested, her hands fisted. She shook her head and just took a breath before sitting next to the blonde, Naruto smiled at her and mouthed a welcome. Hinata only looked away and pulled the hoodie of her winter cloak over her head. She wanted to crawl in a hole and die, they had a tremendous amount of eyes set on them, and all because of her shenanigans. Her mind was already plotting against Naruto, to find a way to embarrass him. 

~

A silent trip later, Naruto had disembarked the carriage along with Hinata.

"Wait here real quick," Naruto said as he dragged the horses by the reins into the stable. Hinata watched as Naruto talked with the owner of the stables, they exchanged words and coins. Hinata had only assumed they would spend the night in this town. She turned her head and watched as all sorts of people walked. She was lost in just the exchanges that took place before her, the image alone brought back memories of her friends. She wondered what her best friend had been doing these past couple of days. And more importantly, she wondered how her father had taken her sudden departure. 

She shook her head at the thought that plagued her, did he hate her? Did he resent her? She didn't know, the young lady just felt as guilty as ever. She made a mental note to write a letter before she disembarked again. 

Suddenly the air in the atmosphere changed, she could see the masses of people all heading in one direction, she turned toward where everyone was rushing to and noted that it was the main town square, she looked back to see Naruto still talking with the owner. She bit her lip and wondered what was happening. She looked back one more time and back at the commotion.

It isn't fair, she thought. She turned on her heels and walked with the masses toward the town square. Louder and louder the cries and howls of the crowd could be heard. She turned the corner and what she saw made her gulp. She could see the wooden structure, a sight she thought she would ever see. She could see men in uniform all over the perimeter and on the platform the captain. And just behind him were three men standing straight, their legs and hands bound, and one man with a sack on his head next to a lever. It was an execution.