Chapter 12

I have no excuses, sorry for the long wait. Enjoy!

~

The winds of winter once again picked up, the gust of winds passing through the decaying leaves, through the branches that creaked, playing a solemn melody in the distance. It had been almost an entire year since they had crossed paths. An entire year since she had chosen to walk a different path. She could feel her immense growth, her past self wasn't anywhere near her level now. And it was all thanks to this man in front of her.

She just watched him silently and in secret as they traversed through the forest. It felt so unreal to finally see him again, something about his presence just brought her whole. She could feel her heart just slightly raise at every second she laid her eyes on him, she couldn't believe she could feel such things. If she weren't so shy, she would have probably embraced him after this whole thing but she just couldn't.

She bit her lip and tilted her head down in disappointment, despite her level increasing, her confidence in front of him didn't increase much.

"Alright, Hinata, we're gonna set camp here for tonight," said the blonde as he stopped in his tracks.

Hinata couldn't help but notice that there was still a good amount of sun out, she raised her brow and questioned him, "there is still a couple more hours of light no?"

Naruto nodded, "yeah, but I smell a snowstorm coming, the first one too!"

He turned toward Hinata and without her noticing, he was face to face with her. His expression had a questionable look.

"Hinata, you're getting sick? You're pretty red."

Hinata's brain was frying up, his face was just a handshake away, not too far but not too close. It was enough to drink in his features up close. How could she not turn red in such a situation?

Hinata quickly jolted and turned her face away "I'm not! It's just getting cold!"

Naruto agreed, he nodded and looked away in the distance again, "You're right, listen, there's a cave not far from here, we can shelter in there for the night and wait for the storm to pass."

He readied his pack and equipment, "we should be able to make it back at the house by tomorrow's first light," he continued as he tied a knot on all of his belongings. With a satisfied grunt. He dusted off his hands and pulled the pack rack over his shoulder. He hadn't noticed it, but Hinata had just stared at him for the entire time he was occupied.

She caught herself in a trance once again and shook her head to bring herself back to reality. She didn't know being separated for so long would have this much of an impact on her. For now, she had to steel herself. If the blonde man was right, the storm would indeed set them back. She had already endured one on her own and barely survived it. She had gone without food for days because she wasn't prepared. However, she was much wiser and sharper. The results wouldn't be the same.

~

After some time, with idle chatter here and there, Naruto and Hinata had finally arrived at the cave Naruto spoke of. It had a fairly big entrance that was nicely covered by rocks of nature. Once they set foot inside the entrance of the cave, the subtle feeling of the unknown grabbed her consciousness. It was the dark and endless abyss that was just beyond the cave.

"Finally, we're here. Feel free to set up," Naruto had set his rack down and began untying the knots that he had placed on himself. At the same time, Hinata had cautiously placed her own down and began setting up her belongings. However, her eyes were briefly looking toward the abyss of the cave. She couldn't shake it. But she felt something was there.