20 Kylie

I stared dumbstruck at the man who sat before me, claiming he thought he was my mate. It was impossible, no matter how much I wished the opposite, because that murderer was already the one fate had cursed me with.

The alpha's voice brushed at the edges of my mind. "A second chance?"

"Maybe. I don't know. It feels...different than before," Vander said to him. "But I think so."

"But she already has a mate." He turned to me, "He's still alive, isn't he?"

"He is." I had not felt the bond break, and I had been wracked with pains of his infidelity just the previous night if the bond was not proof enough.

"Strange." The alpha said musingly.

"It is," agreed the delta. He turned to me. "You feel something, too, don't you?"

I couldn't lie to those eyes. "I do."

"Then stay, please. Let me get to know you, no pressure."

I wiped more tears. I knew what I should do, but how could I say no to those steady eyes that begged me without intending to? I did the opposite of what was smart. "I'll stay."

"Then welcome to Lightwood," said the alpha with a broad smile.

There was a light knock on the door, almost as if someone were waiting outside for my agreement. The door swung open, and in walked the woman who I knew at once was the luna.

She smiled at me before coming over and grasping my hand. "I'm Luna Serena, and I just want to welcome you to Lightwood." Her name was fitting somehow, because she seemed like a beam of moonlight with her light hair and eyes, a calm guide for her pack.

"Thank you, Luna."

"I'm going to help you get settled in here. Come along."

I stood up, and let her draw me away from the alpha's office and into her own, next door.

Once we were safely inside, she said, "I didn't want to ask you there with the males because I did not want to put extra pressure on you, considering the unusual situation you find yourself in."

"Oh, you know?"

She smiled calmly. "Tim let me know what's going on. But don't worry, our offices are soundproof, and I'm not giving him the same privilege right now. But, before I show you around, let me ask you: Would you rather stay in the female wing of the pack house, or with the delta? He's had his own place since he found his mate and he never moved out after he lost her."

I almost wanted to throw caution to the wind and stay near him because he made me feel so secure, but it was probably better to stay in the pack house and keep more distance to deal with whatever confusion was between us. "The pack house, please."

She smiled, showing no judgement over my choice as she opened the door again. "That's where you'll stay then. We'll have to get you some clothing and such."

"I do have some, back at my car."

She nodded. "You can go get that tomorrow, I think, but along with some guards, of course, now that we've had feral rogue activity. But for today, let's get you settled in."

I agreed, and followed the kind luna.

—————

As good as her word, the next day Vander and three other warriors escorted me to the car I had been living out of since I had fled from Alpha Gavriel. Instead of walking through the forest, we drove there so we wouldn't have to carry my things back.

As I looked in the trunk, I realized that I really did not want any of it. I picked through and took only the things that I thought I still really needed. Alpha Timothy had spoken with me before we left and I had been easily convinced that it was better for the car to be abandoned completely.

After searching the vehicle a few times, I was certain I had everything from it I could possibly want. I nodded my head, and one of the fighters jumped into the front seat. He would leave it closer to Stonemason with the windows open so if it was found it would smell neutral and not be easily traced back to Lightwood.

It was with relief that I saw him drive it away. I turned back to the vehicle. Vander met my eyes with concern and I smiled at him to reassure him. I wasn't good, but I was better than I had been before.

I returned to Lightwood, left my things in my room, and then met Vander in the pack house foyer. The way he looked at me felt good, in a way that it never had with Alpha Gavriel. I pushed him from my mind.

Vander showed me around the house and pack lands. While I had never seen it before, at the same time it felt familiar, like home, and I knew that I had made the right decision to stay with them—with him. I still feared what my mate would do if he found me, though.

And what about Vander, I wondered, looking at my relaxed tour guide as we walked through the forest. He was so open and easy with me, and if I had met him first I would have sworn that he was my mate.

"Is it possible for someone to have two mates?" I asked him slowly.

"Well, it does happen in cases of rejection and death."

"But my mate is alive. I'm sure of it. Do you really believe I'm yours?" Could fate have been kind enough to have given me a second chance in light of all that had happened between me and my first, even without his death?

Vander met my eyes. "I don't know, honestly, Kylie. I feel something with you, and it's a lot like what I felt with Darlene, although also different. But even though I'm not sure, I don't care. I want to give this a chance, if you'll allow it."

So much was running through my head it was hard to decide what to say. Finally, I answered, "I'm scared, but I don't hate the idea."

He grinned and I couldn't help but smile back. I liked him, like I had never liked anyone before.

"Come on, I'll show you something." He held out his hand, and I placed mine in it and we started walking again.

A few minutes later, we reached the edge of a cliff. I could see the highway running through the trees down below us.

He was explaining as he pointed down below him. "The human's highway was diverted through that section on the edge of our territory about ten years ago. Alpha Timothy didn't fight it. We allow rogues and other packs safe passage through as long as they're peaceful if they're following the highway. That section down there is not patrolled as frequently, and where we stand is the last section that is fully guarded. So, if you're ever running alone, don't try climbing down there, please."

"I understand," I said. It felt good to stand on the protected edge of a cliff, safely looking out at the dangerous world stretching out before me.

I turned to see that Vander was looking at me rather than the scenery, and I smiled at him, feeling happier than I had in a long time, but also a touch awkward, because my wolf was pushing me, begging for more.

Caught in the moment, I leaned towards him.