41 Kylie

Our paws pounded faster. I knew Vander was pacing himself so he didn't leave me behind. "Run!" I screamed at him in my mind. "Leave me! I'll be fine!"

"I won't leave you," he said, his stubbornness on display.

"He'll kill you. But he won't kill me. I'll be fine."

"You won't be fine," the obstinate male argued as we dashed forward, dodging trees and fallen logs. "You really should have more faith in me. There likely isn't much difference between me and him. Why do you think alphas are so powerful? Because they gain it from the bonds of their pack. If we were both rogues we'd probably be evenly matched. And being delta grants me some power, surely you felt how being the delta female of Lightwood granted you some power."

I hadn't really thought about it, and I didn't care about his arguments. "You're not both rogues, though. And he's brutal."

"But he doesn't have you. Not really, not like I do. I can beat him."

"Please, Vander."

"Trust me, Kylie."

I didn't have much choice, because he wasn't going to run off and leave me. It was who Vander was, and it was why I loved him.

I only hoped it would not be why I would lose him.

Another roaring growl from Alpha Gavriel broke the silence. I whimpered, the vision of Vander broken under his teeth like Thedric running through my head. I pushed to the very edge of my desperate strength for more speed, but it was no good. He slammed into view, terrifyingly huge, hackles raised in aggression.

Vander whirled around to face Alpha Gavriel, putting himself between me and the alpha, as if I were the one who needed protecting when I was probably the only one who was safe from his murderous wrath.

I watched helplessly as the dark monstrous wolf charged in our direction. Vander stood his ground until the last moment, meeting Alpha Gavriel head on.

Blood scented the air and my heart slammed in my chest, but neither of them seemed seriously injured. Vander lunged at the alpha, and I realized he was trying to get him further away from me. I wanted to beg him to run instead, but I didn't want to distract him. Instead I waited and watched the battle before me, the struggle between two males destined to be mine.

As I watched, I realized Vander had not been lying to me about his own abilities. He was holding his own, even with the disadvantage of his delta position. He wasn't gaining, but he wasn't losing, either.

I began to hope, only to see it quickly shattered.

Alpha Gavriel got his teeth into Vander's flank, and blood poured out of the wound. It wasn't deadly, but it was sure to weaken him and give the alpha the edge he needed. Gavriel looked at me, dark fur and golden eyes, maw grinning in triumph. He knew he had won.

"Vander!" There had been too much death. I would not allow him to kill even one more person, and especially not the one I loved. I ran forward, and threw myself between the two fighters and then transformed, oblivious to my unclothed state.

The alpha wasn't as oblivious as I was, and his eyes raked over me. "Alpha Gavriel," I said, eyes narrowed. I waited until he met my eyes again before continuing. "Alpha Gavriel Larson of Stonemason, I reject you as my mate. I reject the bond, I reject you as my alpha, I reject Stonemason as my pack." He growled as I said my last words. "And I am not, and never was yours."

His wolf lost it then, it was as if he had completely forgotten about Vander. He lunged towards me, teeth bared and golden eyes narrowed into threatening slits. I stumbled backwards, away from my injured mate, and the alpha pounced on me, throwing me to the ground. I shrieked and tried to struggle away from the agonizingly punishing—but not deadly—bites of the wolf attacking me.

He wanted to hurt me, to force me to submit to him, but there was no way I was going to do that. I transformed into my sturdier form, but even that did not seem to help, because he outweighed me by two and overpowered me at every turn. I bit at what I could and growled defiantly. I wasn't going to give in to him now, or ever again.

Just as suddenly as his attack began, he rolled off of me. I was confused, and then I saw Vander—jaw bloody and holding ripped tears of flesh—leap towards Alpha Gavriel and bite him again. A pitiful whine emanated from the monster's throat, and Vander stepped back.

His golden wolf eyes met my own. "Should I kill him?"

I swallowed hard. "No."

His eyes held surprise, but he didn't argue. He would listen to my wishes, even regarding this monster, even against his own desires.

"No. Don't kill him. Because I'm going to do it."

I rushed towards my first mate; the male who should have protected and cared for me but instead hurt me more than anyone else, and tore open his throat with my razor sharp teeth.

The metallic taste of his blood filled my mouth, and I knew he would never be able to hurt me or anyone I loved, ever again.