Chapter 1

The chlorinated water of the Olympic length pool below glistens as the sunlight hits its surface, the pool deck feeling cold beneath my bare feet. I stand over the edge in my one-piece suit, my cap and goggles tucked into the hip band securely. The lanes stretch out for what seems like miles. I carefully dip my toes into the clear blue water, wanting to test the cooling temperature.

     "Nervous?" I hear my pool mate ask as I shake out my limbs.

     A small chuckle leaves my lips at her obvious question.

     The team hoodie reaches past her hips, and her jeans cover most of her tanned legs. Her flip-flops squeak as she follows me in step around the pool deck.

     "Of course, I am. Today is only one of the most important days of my life." I jut my chin out, gesturing toward the scene gathering across from us.

     The bleachers across the pool fill up with the school's guests. Our families and friends gather to watch our meet, but most importantly, the University Officials, who are here to represent their schools, bringing a key to a scholarship with them. They have traveled to our small town in search of an athlete to take in for their professional teams and grant the student an athletic scholarship in the process.

     That is if they're impressed by their performance.

     Our school is very well known for our swimmers. We live near a beach, which means we practically grew up in the water. It's no surprise to me they'd be searching in our town, and more specifically, our school. I've always taken pride in the medals I've won for the school. Swimming is a passion for me, but competing is another story.

     "Well, you shouldn't worry, Astrea." Ashley snaps me out of my thoughts with her reassurance.

     "You're a strong swimmer. They'll think greatly of you. I'm sure of it."

     She winks at me as her hand finds my shoulder. I chuckle once more, this time at the compliment. She has a point. I'm the school's strongest and most impressive swimmer.

     But the fact doesn't exclude the reality of the pressure on me. I must compete, not only against my own teammates but the other highly represented swimmers of other schools around us as well.

     "Thanks, Ashley. I needed that." I look over at my teammate beside me, a reassuring smile on her face. "Now go take a seat, please. The pool deck is wet and slippery, and you don't have the best balance at the moment."

     She lets out a humorous laugh before hobbling off to be seated behind the bleachers and away from the slippery deck and another possible injury.

     Much to our disappointment, Ashley won't be swimming with us. She had worked so hard and swam for countless hours, only for her knee injury to get in the way of her achievements. She had fallen off a ladder from a great height, helping her father fix up the roof of their house, so she'll be sitting this race out to cheer us on.

     The rest of our team quickly walk out of the lockers, the girls gathering in hushed whispers before Coach Raithe begins the roll call. Raithe had chosen our strong swimmers for this meet, and at first glance, I'd say it'd be a challenge to defeat any of them. But I've spent countless hours in this very pool, swimming and improving my techniques-no simple task.

     "Astrea, step up to the first lane."

     Right on cue, Coach Raithe calls me to step up to the diving block in front of us. The silver whistle sitting on her chest, catching the light as she moves to stand beside my lane.

     "Cap, please." I press the silicone to my forehead and dip my head in front of Ashley. She quickly secures my swim cap over my head before I tighten my goggles.