Prologue

Amphitrite loved her husband with every drop of her soul. She could still remember the taste of the salty air the night they met, their first touch igniting between them. Since then, she knew he was the soul meant for her. She would do anything for the man she loves, no matter the cost.

     The one thing she wished for in this life was to conceive a child with her lover, a child born from her womb. To her devastation, she was infertile, and no amount of potent magic or alterations to the spells she cast on herself would grant her the one thing she so desired. Being from another realm, she knew a way, another deity who could grant her the fertility she desired.

     But like all things, it came with a cost.

* * *

     The moon shone brightly behind the clouds, filtering into the small home that held the small but soon-to-be growing family.

     Amphitrite held her husband's hand as they discussed the matter at the dinner table. Leaving their home for a lengthy absence saddened and angered her husband. As much respect and admiration as he held for his beloved, he could not bear the thought of her leaving, even if it was for the possibility of conceiving a child with him.

     Her adored stepson focused on the food on his plate, ignoring their discussion. She had welcomed him as her son the moment her husband introduced her to him. The immediate connection they shared opened her heart to him.

     Amphitrite's husband squeezed her hand as he relayed his disapproval of her decision. He knew her desires and her plans to leave this world to reenter hers, the world she had abandoned to be with him away from the duties in the other world.

     She had told him who she was, her true identity, after they had been together a few moon phases. She had to reveal her truth once he asked her to live with him for the rest of their lives, to get married and grow old together.

     Back then, he had thought she lived in a small town from Southern Europe, but when she revealed the truth, he wasn't surprised.

     Her then-fiancée knew there was something special about her, a power within her, dormant for the time being. He felt it churning in her soul whenever they shared deep moments or she was near the ocean—her home.

     That night, she said goodbye to her treasured family. Before leaving, she went into her stepson's room to bid him farewell, planting a soft kiss on his forehead, careful not to wake him.

     She stepped onto the beach barefoot, her toes digging into the rough grains of sand as she relished the cool sea breeze greeting her skin like an old friend. She called upon her magic, the power flowing through her veins as she opened the gate concealed within the waves of the ocean to enter the realm. She kissed her husband goodbye, and they declared their love once more. Their hearts cried out to each other at the momentary separation of their souls.

* * *

     Amphitrite stepped into the clearing, her eyes closing as she relished the familiar atmosphere. Her dress floated freely around her as she harnessed her true form, the power within her making itself known, glowing and radiating from her pores after being locked up for so long.

     Her shoulders relaxed as she felt the other goddesses appear, the bright glow around her emphasizing her soft facial features.

     Selene, Goddess of the Moon, was not only the face of the moon, she was also considered a goddess of mothers and women—women who were eager to conceive.

     Amphitrite begged the Goddess, beseeched her for fertility, begging her to help her body conceive a child she had so desperately desired.

     Selene agreed to grant her neighboring Goddess the wish she hoped for, fertility, but under one condition.

     "The child's fate is under my guidance, my control."

     Amphitrite couldn't believe the words coming out of the Goddess's mouth. She argued with Selene for her child's freedom, to take hers instead. Selene insisted it was a necessary sacrifice. Not willing to give in to defeat, Amphitrite insisted she change her condition, to require something less demanding of the soul.

     Selene pondered for a moment.

     "The child's destiny belongs to me, Amphitrite. Remember, it is I who is granting life to the child and happiness to you, dear friend. Although, I'll offer the child a chance at a normal life. The blood must remain pure and innocent of the supernatural for the child to remain mortal."

     Amphitrite glowered at Selene, knowing the possibility of hidden intentions behind her words, but she agreed, believing she could fend off any maliciousness toward her child. Amphitrite would protect her child from ever coming in contact with the blood of the supernatural.

     "On the night of the third winter solstice after your child's birth, the Cold Moon, you are to return to Dawngarde. The ocean needs you, Amphitrite. The ocean needs its Goddess."

     The night of the third winter solstice, the Cold Moon, her child would only be three years old. Only three years to protect and hold her child.

     "There must be another way, Selene." Selene simply shook her head.

     "You've ignored your duties for far too long, Amphitrite. Your abandonment of your own creatures, your creations, will only create chaos within the realm. Do not make me show you the consequences of your failure to comply."

     With that, Selene ended the discussion, dismissing the assembly as she left the gathering. The deity sank into the night air, floating above to be welcomed by the glow of the moon.