Chapter 2

The sunlight cleaving through the curtains woke me up early in the morning, signaling the start of my day. Great, second week at the aquarium. I had recently gotten a job at the aquarium in town selling goodies, plushies, mugs, etc. It's a suitable job and pays well, not to mention I'm near the rescued animals.

     I quickly start my day, tossing on my blue sales shirt and matching white shorts before placing the cute white cap with the aquarium's dolphin logo on the center of it. Father, already knowing my morning cravings, hands me my tumbler glass cup with the silicone straw secured to the lid before I step out the front door.

     Waving my father goodbye as I sip on my morning strawberry and banana smoothie, I unlock my Bug and slide into the driver's seat. My Bug is the most precious thing I own. It's lightly used, but like new, the red paint job had really hooked me when I first saw it on the ad at the dealership further into town.

     My brother, being older than me at nineteen and getting into so many medical programs after years of intense studying, had been gifted a beautiful new car for his achievements.

     I, with my long hours of the week swimming and focusing on my studies, had to work and find a part-time job to pay for my dream car. My brother had promised me he'd drive me down to the dealership as soon as I had enough money saved up for one, and it was well worth the wait.

     As I back out of the driveway, I lower the volume to the song playing from the aux. I drive slowly near the docks, watching to catch a view of the sun rising over the horizon. I had chosen the morning shift for this exact reason, there's something soothing and calming about a sunrise. Living near a beach adds to the wonderful atmosphere, with the waves crashing and the sunlight leaking onto the ocean through the horizon makes for quite the sight.

     I carefully park the car facing the beautiful view of the beach, slurping up the rest of my smoothie. As I step out of the car, I lean against it and close my eyes at the sound of the waves crashing, almost like a song softly calling me to the water.

     I grab the entrance card around my neck and press it against the keypad to the left of the glass double doors, letting myself into the blue building. I smile at the comforting environment in front of me, ready to start my day.

     At the entrance of the aquarium greets an open small pond filled with delicate sea life - small turtles and stingrays. The rest of the exhibits are full of beautifully colored marine life ranging from all sizes, small description notes gathered in front of each tank explaining the species and their role in the oceanic ecosystem.

     Acquiring this job at the aquarium was no easy task, and impressing the supervisor here was practically impossible with her cold heart and stubborn personality. But with determination, a great resume, and a recommendation letter from my coach, I got the position of sales representative.

     I make my way to the back of the building to retrieve my stand/booth to set up outside, where I greet the patrons as they enter or exit the aquarium. As I fix the plushies decorating the top of my stand, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

     "Astrea." I hear Paisley, the dolphin aquarist and my best friend from work, behind me exclaim.

     I had met her on the second day of working at the booth. I had gone on my lunch break and ventured to her section of the aquarium. She had been in one of the rehabilitation pools with one of the juvenile dolphins. She showed me around the dolphin enclosures and the rest of the aquarium, helping me find myself comfortable around all the marine life and most of the staff.

     I turn around to find her pressing a cup of coffee to her lips while holding out some papers toward me. I tilt my head in wonder, Paisley only emphasizing what she holds as a response, pushing me to grab them and see for myself. I set down the plush in my hands and grab the papers from her hold, the bold headline at the top catching my attention. It's the local news.