Chapter 3

Two days have passed since the encounter with the horrific scene in the alleyway, the glowing blue eyes burning in my memory. The images of the blood splatter had invaded my dreams the nights right after, but lately, other things have been on my mind, pushing the terrible thoughts aside and replacing them with something else entirely.

     Xander Blackwood and strangely enough, the redheaded woman, Thea. Their strange demeanors struck me when I first encountered them, their intense and mysterious personas unmatched.

     I run down the stairs in my jogging attire, the loose muscle tank allowing airflow. Dylan had left for school, needing to study for another exam coming up the following week. With no swim practice today, I'm left to do as I please.

     Walking toward the front door, I take note of my father seated by the kitchen table, the newspaper in his hands making me bite the inside of my lip. He breaks his focus from the article, looking up at me.

     "Now, you be careful out there, Astrea," he says firmly.

     "I will, Dad. You don't have to worry about me." I tap my pockets for my phone, feeling them empty before I see the device on the counter. "I can take care of myself."

     "Well, don't get lost."

     His lip curls up into a slight smile. "And be wary of the bears." He says as I strap my phone onto my arm.

     I raise my eyebrow at his statement, "Dad... there aren't any bears here." I laugh and run to the fridge for my water bottle.

     "I know, I just needed a reaction," he says while looking back down at the article. I sigh and let out another chuckle.

     His eyebrows furrow, and his back straightens before he looks back up to where I stand.

     "Astrea, wait," he calls out to me.

     "What?" I stop in my tracks.

     "Are you going anywhere near town?" He asks, peering at me through his glasses.

     "No. You said it yourself, I'm going for a jog by the park. Why?" I ask, already having a slight idea of what might be in the article.

     With the events from the previous days, it's a surprise it took them so long to report on it.

     "Don't stay out too late, alright." He points a firm finger at me. "There's been a series of murders on the other side of town, near where you work."

     "I read the news, Dad. But like you said, it's on the other side of town." I shrug and reach for my keys on the hook by the door.

     Before stepping outside, I dismiss myself from the conversation, not giving my father a chance to find an excuse to keep me home. The jog I'm about to go on is very much needed. With the thoughts of both Xander and Thea invading every crevice of my mind, fresh air should be enough to kick them off. Not to mention they must feel strangely tired with the amount of running they do in my mind.

     Coach Raithe suggested I do 'dry-lands' as often as possible to maximize my performance in the pool. According to her, training isn't just about 'swimming mindlessly for miles upon miles,' it's also about keeping your body up to par. In order to do that, you must train on dry land, 'to promote muscle growth and stability.'

     The cool breeze brushes the bare skin of my calves, a small shiver vibrating my limbs. The sun had settled neatly between the trees of the forest, a small beam lighting the path for the runners.

     I push my tied-up hair off my shoulders and descend toward the path. I sigh a breath of relief as the trail is empty of any other joggers or hikers. Running alone always felt best to me. It allows my thoughts to run freely out of me, without a worry of anyone around to bother.