Chapter 6

My morning went by quickly, passing by like a blur. Waking up, I'm already anxious to head home. I long for the comfort of my own room, the conversations with my brother, and my normal way of life.

     I'm appreciative of everything the people in this world have done for me, from taking care of my health to making sure I have a comfortable room during my stay, but as wonderful as everything may seem, it's not meant for me. I don't want to overstay my welcome.

     The Pack doctor stood in front of me in my bedroom, performing one last assessment after a long night of monitoring me, something I have to get through to go back home. That and to make sure my health was up to par. Thanks to Charlotte, I at least had a comfortable pillow and mattress beneath me last night.

     "Have you been feeling fatigued? Lightheaded? Any mood changes I should know about?" Dr. Alrik Dromon's smooth voice asked as he scribbled notes aimlessly on his clipboard.

     "No, everything seems fine to me." I shrugged my shoulders, knowing I've felt normal for the past two days. "No loss of appetite, moodiness, and I'm certainly not forgetting everything that has happened within the last ten minutes of my life." I chuckle nervously as the doctor's storm grey eyes examine me.

     He nods and scribbles some more on that damn clipboard, then flips through the pages and reads over my answers for the questionnaire, analyzing my bloodwork soon after.

     "She's passed the assessments and has fully recovered." He shifts his stormy gaze to my father hovering beside me. The response caused him to breathe a sigh of relief, relaxing his tense shoulders.

     "Awesome! I can go home now," I exclaim, clapping my hands excitedly at the news.

     "Take my card if anything of concern occurs. Just make sure to press the pound before you begin dialing, the call won't go through without it," Dr. Dromon informs us as he hands my father a small card, his name and phone number in clear print on the surface.

     Just then, a knock sounds at the door, grabbing everyone's attention. My father sends out a brief 'come in' before a familiar broad figure steps in-Xander Blackwood. His beautiful gaze takes in the scenery for a moment, landing on me in the center of the room.

     "Just checking in. How are things looking?" he asks, his gaze shifting onto my father.

     "I can go home now." I smile and answer his question. His expression shifts just then, turning into that of a disappointed one. He quickly shakes off the expression, squaring his shoulders as he strides over to a corner.

     Dr. Dromon excuses himself, needing to leave to attend to the medical wing and fill out some paperwork.

     "I've already arranged to take you both back to your home, your escort, if you will." Xander clears his throat and gestures outside.

     "That's perfect. When can we start heading out?" I ask, sliding off the bed and smoothing out my wrinkled blouse.

     "Right now, if you like. I'll give you a moment to pack your things, then we can head off." He leans against the wall, his onyx eyes taking me in.

     My breath catches in my throat at the way he gazes at me as if I'm a bunny to him, a prey to his wolf. Gosh, he's beautiful.

     "Thank you, I'd really like it if we headed home now." I cut my thoughts short before they could wander any further into territory I shouldn't touch.

     Just then, I'm reminded of who he is and all he's done here, for myself and my father. Thanking the man would be the first thing on my mind if my head was clear, but with everything stirred around me, I'm probably confusing emotions.