Chapter One

Wren Eldrid dreaded what tomorrow would bring. The Reaping was always a sorrowful day to those in District Ten. She didn't live in the poorest District thankfully- that was Twelve, the coal miners. The girl sighed as she fed the chickens. The mindless birds scattered all around for any food they could reach.

"Lucky," she said to the birds, "I don't even get that much food. If I did you guys would be the food." A chicken ran from her as she chuckled. She tore her gaze away from the chickens as her mother called her to dinner.

The exterior of her house looked nicer than the inside. The brick house was small. Her family couldn't afford much.

She sat down at their table that barely sat the four of them. Her mother, Melanie Eldrid, sat out a plate of scrambled eggs, two at the most, and a slab of bread. Cutting the portions into four she passed them out. Wren gave a fourth of her own to her little brother William knowing he was hungrier than her.

"Wren," her mother began, "I need you to take care of the cattle before bed, please? Just to help us prepare for tomorrow." Wren silently agreed with a nod knowing that tomorrow they'd have to sell one of their cows to the Capital. Finishing up her food and putting the plate in the sink she ran the water.

"Oh, and Wrenny," her father said catching her attention. "You're going to be fine tomorrow." Wren looked up at her father, his eyes meeting her own. "I'm scared Dad. My name is in there twenty-seven times." Her voice cracked as she said the number of how many pieces of paper held her name. Her father pulled her into an embrace.

"Sweetheart, I'm so sorry. I never wanted this for you. But there are other kid's names in there too. Not just you. It won't be you. I won't let it. Now, go check on the cattle before bed. You need your rest tonight." He said as he wiped away her tears. His daughter nodded and went out to the stables.

Four cows and one bull stood before the brunette. The bull, Benny, named by William, gave her the hardest time. Every other night she had to usher them back into the makeshift stables and Benny would always refuse.

"Benny," the girl warned. "Don't make me get the whip." The bull snorted in what could only be a taunting way.

"Fine. Whip it is," she snapped as she pulled her hair into a high ponytail.

Wren walked over to the wall which held three ropes and a light brown whip. The leather felt familiar in her hands as she unraveled it. Making eye contact once again with the bull she jerked the whip and warned with a crack. Throwing her arm in the direction of the bull the whip wrapped itself around its right horn. Wren tugged hard towards her body and pulled him in her direction.

The girl quickly jumped on his back and used the other half of the whip to steer him to the stall. The bull huffed in defeat and went where the girl wanted him to go.

"Finally," she muttered as she hopped down.

After locking the door Wren went back to the brick house. The stars sparkled above her. That was her favorite thing in District Ten, the stars.

"Wren dear! Hurry back inside! You know the peacekeepers don't like us out after ten-thirty." Her mother hollered.

The girl dashed inside and to her room, which she shared with her brother. The little boy had been tucked in before she arrived. Wren placed a light kiss on his tanned forehead before crawling to her side of the bed. She looked out the window and up at the stars.

"Please don't be me tomorrow," she whispered.

She looked at William, his brown hair fell over his eyes.

"My family needs me here. William needs me here. Hell, Benny needs me to point him in the right direction. Please not me." Wren said before she fell into a dreamless sleep.