Chapter Two

The train rattled Wren awake that morning. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying throughout the night. She jumped at the sudden knock at her door. Serena stood on the other side.

"Breakfast is in twenty minutes, dear!" The woman's voice was too high-pitched for Wren's liking.

Wren let out a breath as she heard the footsteps distant themselves from her room. Deciding to get up, Wren walked to the bathroom. White tile and countertops laid in front of her, so white it could blind anyone. A large glass cube filled with buttons sat in the corner. The Eldrid girl faced the mirror. A girl she didn't recognize stared back at her. Tan skin, bloodshot eyes, tousled hair, and a tattered dress. The hazel-eyed brunette was a mess.

Stripping off her Reaping clothes Wren hoped it would strip her mind of the events that took place less than twenty-four hours ago; it didn't.

She looked in the mirror once more at her now exposed body. She wasn't completely thin; the girl had some muscle from working on farms her whole life, but she knew in the arena someone could snap her in half. Shaking her head the girl stepped into the shower. At least fifty buttons were on the wall. Feeling under pressure she pressed one. A stream of boiling hot water hit her stomach. She yelped as she tried to fix the situation, she only made it worse.

Wren hit three different buttons at once. One stopped the jet of water hitting her stomach, but the other two released ice-cold water on her head and shampoo in her eyes.

Quickly washing up in the process, Wren hit the large 'stop' button faster than the speed of light. Now shivering, she stepped out onto the tile once more. The brunette couldn't find any towels. On the wall next to her was another button, only this one said 'dry.' Hitting one final button Wren felt air all around her, and within seconds she wasn't shivering anymore. She ran a hand through her hair and smiled as it was now silky smooth. She looked in the mirror one last time before heading to the wardrobe.

"If you couldn't figure out a shower then how the hell are you going to survive the games?" she asked as she pointed to her reflection. The girl got no reply.

The wardrobe in her room was packed with clothes Wren despised. Neon colors were everywhere she looked. Finally, after some digging, she found a simple pair of black pants and a blue shirt. Deciding to leave her hair down Wren attempted to find her way to the dining car.

Five people sat at a table filled with food and Wren knew she was late.

"Welcome, Wren!" Serena greeted. "Meet your mentors Ariana Galde and Oliver Thaden. Ariana won the 48th Hunger Games and Oliver won the 43rd." Wren took a seat across from Ariana.

The woman had dark hair and warm brown eyes. Her lips were painted red that morning and her hair was curled.

The man next to her, however, looked like time had reached him a bit quicker. His head was almost fully grey, but Wren noticed a few strands of brown hidden. His eyes were as blue as the ocean that surrounded District Four.

"Good morning," Oliver spoke. His voice was rough. Wren gave him a slight nod as she put a piece of toast on her plate. She wasn't too hungry after last afternoon's event.

The seven sat in silence as the two younger tributes stuffed their bellies. Moments later their faces turned slightly green. The boy next to Wren shocked her as he spoke up.

"So, do you guys have any advice? You know, for the arena?" He pushed his plate a few inches away from him signaling that he was done. The winner of the 48th games chuckled.

"Stay away from the Cornucopia; it's a bloodbath. You'll be dead in a matter of minutes- seconds maybe since there's forty-eight of you." She corrected herself as she took a sip of coffee.