7. Even More Messier.

Everything hurt so much.

I struggled to pinpoint the source of the pain as it engulfed me from within. Slowly, my senses started to return, bringing some awareness of my surroundings. I found myself lying on some sort of mattress.

Amidst the agony, voices reached my ears. Two people were arguing loudly. I wanted to tell them to stop as my head felt like it was about to explode.

My attempts to move my fingers and legs to get their attention failed, as they felt numb.

"It's your fault! We should have dealt with him the same day he uttered those words," someone shouted. I recognized that voice... it was Ashley.

"Ashley, don't blame your mother," Laura's voice responded.

"Why not? It is her fault. If we had taken action that day, this wouldn't have happened!" Ashley retorted.

"Ashley, please, not here in the hospital," Galina tried to calm her.

"Is this what you care about? Look at Neev, she has been unconscious for a whole fucking week, because your beast of a son claimed her!" Ashley cried out.

I couldn't fully comprehend their words; my headache only intensified.

"Let's go, don't create a scene here, Ashley," Laura said softly. I heard their footsteps fading away, and I tried to call after them, but my lips wouldn't move.

"His venom is inside her body, she couldn't withstand this... what if—" Ashley's voice was cut off as the door closed behind them.

The pain surged through my body, becoming almost unbearable.

I couldn't endure it any longer.

So, I prayed for darkness to take control of my body and release me from this agony.

-------

Someone had hold of my hand.

Summoning some strength, I peeled my eyes open and squinted a little to gaze around the hospital room bathed in natural sunlight.

I tilted my head to get a better look at who was holding my hand.

Ashley's grip on my hand was tight as she lay near the edge of the bed, her lower half perched on a nearby chair.

I attempted to move a little, but a groan escaped my mouth as I felt stabbing pain on the right side of my neck.

At my movement, Ashley jolted up and stared at me with wide eyes. She let go of my hand and rushed out of the room, calling for a doctor.

In no time, an older man in a white coat appeared in the room, following Ashley. Throughout, she seemed anxious as the doctor checked on my injuries.

"Is she okay?" Ashley whispered, concern evident in her voice.

The doctor turned his attention to me, asking, "Are you feeling any severe pain anywhere?"

I attempted to lift my right arm. "This side is hurting, it feels like I dislocated my shoulder," I said hoarsely.

Anger flashed in Ashley's eyes, and she exchanged some secret look with the doctor. There was a significant bandage near my neck, and he examined the wound closely.

Ashley stared at me with worry.

The doctor cleared his throat to get her attention. "It is healing slowly because of the... distance," he said, and Ashley shot him a warning glare.

"She will be okay in a few days," he added, avoiding her gaze.

What distance were they referring to?

While Ashley was busy asking more questions, I examined my body.