10. The Monster

A profound weariness plagued me, one that couldn't be fixed with just a good night's sleep. It was a fatigue that went beyond the physical; it weighed on my mind, demanding my attention to the events unfolding in my life.

The burden of secrets, emotions, and guilt became too much to bear. I felt utterly drained, as if I wasn't truly living, but rather just enduring and surviving each day.

Golden yellow.

Those eyes haunted me again.

I still couldn't fully grasp the reality of their existence. The knowledge of their secret put me in grave danger; if they ever found out, I knew they would not hesitate to end my life.

I was seen as a threat.

And after what Alaric did to me, my fear intensified. I felt fortunate that the truck driver had shown some compassion and helped me escape the dangerous territory. I got a cab afterward. By the time I reached my house, I had no strength left. I fell asleep on the sofa without even taking my shoes off.

As evening set in, I remained lying on the sofa, my body warm and sweaty, and the fever taking its toll. My head throbbed with a dull ache, and the wound on my neck still pained me, even after two weeks.

They called it a claim.

A claim of the beast.

Ansel? No! It couldn't be him. Deep down, I knew he was the one they referred to, but why would he do such a thing to me? He didn't even visit me in the hospital.

The situation was bewildering, and the pounding headache made it even harder to process. My mind was a chaotic whirlpool, desperately trying to organize the incomprehensible events in my life. I sought a way to cope with reality, to prevent a mental breakdown, but it felt like an impossible task. My human brain struggled to fathom the complexities before me.

Finally, after mustering some strength, I managed to rise from the sofa and stumbled toward the medicine cabinet. The fever coursing through my body was relentless, and sweat coated my entire being. However, as I moved, I noticed an odd dampness between my legs, which startled and confused me.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, jolting me with surprise. Who could it be? Perhaps Uncle George? My legs trembled beneath me as I took a few tentative steps toward the door, struggling to bear the weight of my own body. I felt weak and unsteady, wondering what was happening to me.

The thought of Uncle George visiting brought a glimmer of hope, but as I opened the door, my heart sank. It wasn't him; it was Ansel, a face both familiar and frightening. I couldn't help but notice the dark stain on his light blue shirt - blood. Panic surged through me as I remembered that Ansel was not an ordinary human; he was a werewolf. I tried to swallow the dryness in my throat, attempting to remain composed.

"W-Why are you here?" I managed to whisper, avoiding his piercing gaze. His presence made me uneasy, and the realization that he could transform into a beast at any moment only added to my fear.

Ansel's eyes held an eerie glint, not the sapphire blue I was used to, but a dangerous golden yellow. My heart raced, and I searched for any sign of help, but the surroundings were devoid of any human presence. Why did my parents have to choose a secluded house so far from others?

I mustered the courage to ask again, trying to mask my terror. "Why are you here, Ansel?"

"You ran away from me," he growled, his voice deep and unsettling, carrying an animalistic undertone.

I ran away from everyone, not just you.

The danger was real, and my brain screamed at me to flee from this situation. As I attempted to shut the door to protect myself, his strength overwhelmed mine. He pushed the door with force, causing me to stumble back in fear. "Ansel, please leave," I pleaded, my chest tightening with anxiety.